It's Fall Soup time!

AussieAcres

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Anyone have a favorite fall soup recipe? One of my favorites is Harvest cream soup. Just after pulling one of the last Summer harvests out of the garden.
Made some last night, So good I have to share.

Harvest Cream soup

· 1 lb (450 g) butternut squash

· 2 Leeks (white and light green portions only)

- Leeks can be substituted with 1 medium onion

· 1 lb baby carrots (about 3 cups/750 ml)

· 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil

· 1 – 4 garlic cloves, Pressed

· Salt & coarsely ground pepper (optional)

· 2 cans (14.5 oz each) vegetable broth (about 4 cups/1L), DIVIDED

· 1 can (12 oz or 370 ml) evaporated milk

· 1 1-in (2.5 cm) piece of unpeeled fresh ginger root

· Sour cream (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 450◦F (230◦C). Cut squash in half. Lay a sheet of foil over baking stone or pan and lightly butter. Place squash halves on foil open side down.

2. Cut leeks in half lengthwise, then cut into 2 inch (5 cm) pieces. Combine leeks, carrots, oil and garlic in Stainless (6-qt/ 6-L) Mixing Bowl; toss to coat using wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper to desired.

3. Arrange vegetables in a single layer on Large Bar Pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and deep golden brown. Remove pan from oven to.

4. The butternut will need to be scooped from skin with a spoon. Combine half of the vegetables with half of the broth in blender container. Cover; blend until smooth. Pour Vegetable puree into (4-qt./ 3.8-L) large sauce pan. Repeat with remaining vegetable mixture and broth. Add evaporated milk; mix well. Cook over medium heat 5-6 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
4. Grate ginger root using Grater. Gather ginger root in palm of hand and squeeze over (1-cup/250-ml) Prep Bowl to yield 2 tsp (10 ml); discard flesh. Stir juice into soup just before serving. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls; swirl in sour cream, if desired. Serve with toasted bread of your choice.

Chicken Corn Soup

"This is a great favorite in the Dutch country. At reunions, church picnics and fire company suppers, while the corn lasts, gallons and gallons of this rich soup are simmered in big iron kettles over open wood fires." Rivels are like little crumbs of pasta. You could substitute some homemade noodles or tiny alphabet pasta or orzo (rice shaped pasta).

1 stewing hen, about 4 lbs.
4 quarts water
1 onion chopped
10 ears corn
1/2 cup celery, chopped with leaves
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
salt and pepper
rivels

Put cut-up chicken and onion into water and cook slowly until tender; add salt. Remove chicken and cut up meat into small (1-inch) pieces and return to broth, along with corn which has been cut from the cob, the celery and season with salt and pepper. Continue to simmer.

Rivels:
1 cup flour
a pinch of salt
1 egg
milk (by the tablespoon)

Put flour and salt in a small bowl. Add beaten egg and a little milk to form small crumbs. Drop these into the soup along with the the chopped hard boiled egg. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes (to cook the rivels). Serve hot.

Baked Potato Soup

Peel, cut cook 5 potatoes with just enough water to cover them.
Mix with a little cold water, 1 or 2 tbs flour and add to potatoes (enough to thicken water with potatoes)
Add 2 cups milk and 1/2 cup sour cream, pour over potatoes. (add more milk if you put too much flour)
Bring back to a simmer
Serve in bowls and sprinkle chives, cooked crumbled bacon and shredded cheese on top
Salt and pepper to taste.

Couldn't be simpler. I usually don't measure anything for this soup, but this represents a basic recipe you could adjust.

Last edited:
I love potato soup. I add green beans, onions, and fried ground beef to it also. I bake homemade biscuits or whole grain rolls to go with it; what a GREAT meal. Tho its got to be a little nippy outside for me to fix it, cause its a real "stick to your ribs" kind of meal.

This is a hearty PA Dutch soup

Ham & bean soup ~

2 to 3 pounds smoked ham hocks
2 quarts of water
1/2 cup dices celery
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 40oz cans Northern Beans
Instant potato flakes
Black pepper to taste

Cook ham hocks in water approx 3 hours until meat is tender. Remove meat from bone and set aside. Add celery, carrot and onion to ham broth & simmer until tender. Add meat & beans. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Add instant potato flakes to broth to thicken if desired.

This makes a large kettle of soup and freezes well. I think that it is even better when reheated!

hangin'witthepeeps :

Baked Potato Soup

Peel, cut cook 5 potatoes with just enough water to cover them.
Mix with a little cold water, 1 or 2 tbs flour and add to potatoes (enough to thicken water with potatoes)
Add 2 cups milk and 1/2 cup sour cream, pour over potatoes. (add more milk if you put too much flour)
Bring back to a simmer
Serve in bowls and sprinkle chives, cooked crumbled bacon and shredded cheese on top
Salt and pepper to taste.

Couldn't be simpler. I usually don't measure anything for this soup, but this represents a basic recipe you could adjust.

big_smile.png

Thanks for sharing this. I made it last night and my whole family loved it. I added broccoli to it and made some biscuts to go with it. What a quick easy dinner that is very filling. Thanks again!
big_smile.png

Chicken tortilla soup- EASY! Saw it on 'Just cook this" on the food network and kinda adapted it for us, you can do the same!

Add or subtract amounts and ingrediants to fit your tastes.

(you will need pre-cooked chicken, I often buy a whole pre-cooked bird at the store to use in this soup)
1 can chicken broth
1 medium bottle of any salsa you like
1 can each as preferred-(all drained of liquid first) corn, stewed tomatoes, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, black beans, pretty much any bean or veggie works
1 cup water (optional)
1 avocado
1/2 small cut up onion
Some shreded cheese
Sour cream

Add all canned ingrediants and onion to big pot and cook on medium/high until simmering
Add shredded, pre-cooked chicken and cook 10 more minutes or until chicken is hot
Cook a tortilla in a toaster over or your own oven just until slightly crispy (PLEASE be careful! I once caught one on fire in my oven! Those things cook FAST!!)

Pour into bowl and add- Cheese, sour cream, avocado (hey, I never said it was gonna be diet soup!
lol.png
)
Tear cooked tortilla into pieces and line the filled bowl around the edges

All my kids eat this soup- even the little ones! (sneaky way to get some veggies in 'em!
wink.png
)

Ok, this is a really easy one... good for throwing in the crockpot or heating on the stove.

9 can brunswick stew
1 can cream corn
1 can whole corn
1 can BBQ beef
1 can BBQ pork
1 can chicken
1 can lima beans
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can tomatoe soup
1 can sliced potatoes
3/4 cup BBQ sauce ( any kind and you can add more or less to taste)
That's it! I know, easy, right!

Cowboy Stew
1 pound ground beef (browned and drained)
1 pkg. taco seasonings
add onion to taste
1 can tomatoes (diced)
2 cans of beans ( you can use kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, chili beans or any combo of them -- really just whichever you have on hand)
1 can of corn
add water if needed to make it "soupier"

good for throwing in the crockpot or heating on the stove.

15 Bean Soup

Put 1 bag dried 15 beans in crock pot and cover with water (1 1/2 quarts water), cut up 1 big onion, 1 tooth garlic minced, 1 pint tomatoes, 1 ham hock or cubed left over baked ham, and cook 5 hours on high or 8 on low

Serve with tortilla chips and sour cream, yummy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom