It's going to be one of those days....I can tell already.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by homesteadmomma, Jun 13, 2011.

1. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    Last night, I was having a hard time sleeping. This is pretty common, been struggling with sleeping issues my entire life. I think it has gotten worse since I had the kids, because it's the only quiet time I will ever get. So about 4am I finally get to bed, ugh. Then about 6:30 am, my middle daughter wakes up, about an hour ahead of schedule. I had set the alarm for 6 so I could get the chicken chores done and be up in time to fix the husband breakfast. I got breakfast done, but chickens had to wait until husband left for work. I hope they weren't too upset, it was a beautiful, cooler morning here. So aside from being tired, all is well, or so I thought.

My youngest woke around 7:30, way too early for her. She has been a grouch all morning, and she can be the most hateful, whiny kid you may ever see (she's almost 2). Followed by my oldest around 8. I try to wait until everyone is going to be awake to start breakfast, so around 8:30 I started it. Of course no one would agree on what they wanted (pancakes, eggs and bacon, and hotdogs were all mentioned). So I just decided to whip up some pancakes and some leftover fruit that I cut up for a dessert. The problem was, I started out by rolling an egg off of the counter...just perfect. Then burnt the skillet trying to change the little ones diaper, again. And of course when they were done, no one wanted it, even the one that wanted pancakes. So I sat for 30 minutes at the table listening to them whine about not eating, blah, blah blah. I left and left them there until their food was eaten. Yeah, I'm a mean mom. It was nearly 9:15 before they realized that I really wasn't kidding and they were sitting there until food was done. But in that small amount of time, I managed to wash the dirty dishes, break a mason jar, step in the egg mess twice, spill about a quart of tea on the floor.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] So I cleaned up all the messes I made, excused the kids, and we let the bunny out to play in the living room. Of course, they are all in there fighting over who gets to hold the bunny and my oldest is yelling at my youngest for talking. So I put up the bunny, no more bunny until you all can get along and share... I offer the let's play outside bargain, they take the bait. Normally, when outside, all goes well. I haul them out to the garden with me so I can weed and pick some treats for the chickens. Today they fought over the last few heads of brocolli, the parsley, and the onions. No wonder I never have any onions once it's time to harvest! So I get everyone out of the garden, split up the broccoli into even pieces, and tell them to play. My oldest has managed to fall and scrape up her knee, putting her in a horrible mood for what I think will be the rest of the day, my youngest has gotten into the mud and tracked it all over the house, and my middle daughter has decided to get out the hose and make a mud pit right in front of the patio where everyone walks. Now it's getting close to lunch and they are all inside again so I can keep track of them while I figure out what to cook.

I'm running on a short fuse today. Not sure if I will have the energy to cope or the patience to deal. It's going to be a bad day. Thanks for listening to my rant, I promise it won't happen again for a while....

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH ARG,

You've got little kids, I've got big kids....Ages 17, 17, 20, and a grown son who is 23 and no longer living at home. The 20 year old, pregnant step daugher has just moved back in with us a few weeks ago. She moved out two years ago when she was 18, because she didn't have to listen to us anymore. She also dropped out of school at that time. SOOOOO, now life isn't working out so well for her (surprise), and she's moved back in.

Summer has started so the teenage boys are in and out with friends all day long, which is OK, except they and their friends eat all our food. I just went to the grocery store Saturday, and the fridge literally looks bare......[​IMG]

Older son comes over with his family, which is nice, but he's upset because he's switching jobs and has to pay his employer back money $4500 for schooling since he left too early.......I dont' have that kind of money laying around......So I am also upset becasue I don't like my kids to be upset....

OH DRAMA! I'm glad to be back to work today![​IMG]

Hey, I'll trade the little kid wining for the big kid drama! [​IMG] I think we both need MOM vacations! LOL

Hang in there! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    Do we get vacations!?! If so, how many should I expect? One per year, and since I haven't taken the first 4 years, I could take an extended one? About a month or so? Ahhh, I would miss the little boogers, but probably not the first few days. My husband considers my vacation anytime I get to go grocery shopping without kids. I always go to the Super Walmart about an hour away because the closer one doesn't sell the laundry detergent I like. That also buys me two extra hours of quiet time.

I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles. I am lucky to have whiny little ones I'm sure, but I will also have three teenage girls to deal with (and only one bathroom!). I can't imagine the extra stress of step-children moving back home. It seems that we try to do what's right and end up getting taken advantage of. I remember my mom complaining about my brothers friends coming over and cleaning out the fridge. She finally let my brother know that enough was enough and that if they expected to be fed, then they could be fed by their parents. I'm always the nice one too. Always offering to fix dinners for the family or watch other peoples children, but it seems karma is not on my side...bummer.

I wish you luck with the kids, and I know problems will eventually work themselves out!

4. bluesub

bluesub Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I don't know what is the age range of your daughters, but could you have a friend come over to play with one of the older ones? Sometimes adding (or subtracting) a child helps family dynamics. We are still adjusting to the transition to the summer - I may strangle (not really) my middle daughter by the end of today, so I feel your pain - although I spread mine out - 13, 9 and 3...

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It can definitely help to trade off some kids--invite someone over to play with one and see if a friend of another can take yours for awhile. Then in a day or two, reverse the tradeoff. (A day or two in-between, they can play with their siblings at home.) See if you can find them some summer projects or classes--maybe a weekly trip to the library and another to the local pool. Or set up a slip-n-slde or wading pool or sprinkler to run through.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    It sounds like you are having a really rough day. [​IMG] Hopefully they were worn out and took a long nap.

Now that I have given proper condolences, I will share this. I have been feeling a bit down lately because my older DD just turn 18 and graduated high school. My youngest DD is 15. Now that I have been reminded of what a typical day with young children can be like...... (I'm sorry in advance for this)........

I'm so freaking glad I'm almost done!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Again....I'm sorry you are having a bad day.......it will get better. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I laughed at this.

to the OP, I know of days like this. As I"m sure you know it gets better.... But Thank-you, for reminding me today could have been worse [​IMG]

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Thanks. I'm still hiding. [​IMG] I must have had too much coffee before I posted this one. [​IMG]

9. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I don't know why this makes me happy [​IMG]
    If we had one of those four-legged things, you could keep the little ones busy all day long!

10. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Quote:I know! I loved that little llama, I thought it was epic. [​IMG]

Keep your hopes up. Things usually don't get any worse when you feel like you've hit rock bottom, and little things you usually take no notice of keep you sane [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by