It's going to be super cold.

A couple of nights ago I was about to shoot another one of them **** guineas.  I was calling the kids into the coop for feeding and the night.  The boys would almost get to the door and a guinea would come up from behind and goose him making him jump up on top the pen.  Happened three times!  :rant   They don't bother the hens, the hens don't put up with no dang guinea antics.  Last Friday in March can't come quick enough, we are going to cut WAY down on the guinea population.

Ksking, may I ask what is the last Friday in march? Just guinea processing day or swap or what?

Temps down to 3 tomorrow night. Had to lug dummy peababies back to coop at 2 am thru slick clay mud, rain/sleet,etc. Goofy birds were sopped. Of course so was I by time I was done and smelled like bird. :(

Last edited:
Ksking, may I ask what is the last Friday in march? Just guinea processing day or swap or what?

Temps down to 3 tomorrow night. Had to lug dummy peababies back to coop at 2 am thru slick clay mud, rain/sleet,etc. Goofy birds were sopped. Of course so was I by time I was done and smelled like bird.
sad.png

The last Friday of every month is a little road side auction in a little Amish town called Yoder, Ks. They have been having the auctions for over 20 years and people bring all kinds of animals (and junk). Much care needs to be taken that you buy and bring home only healthy birds as there is a reputation of some people bringing culls and sick animals there to get rid of them.

Usually, people start showing up around noon, they start checking in the stuff by one pm, and auction starts at four pm. We have seen them pull up tractors and trucks for light when the auction goes after dark. It got so big that one month last year they had two auctioneers going at the same time, big mistake to split the crowd, however I did but three BS chicks for $13 each and the stuff we took to sell didn't do well either.

Normally we do well there selling guineas, chickens, and turkeys. I never take peas there although I will buy some occasionally.

The last Friday of every month is a little road side auction in a little Amish town called Yoder, Ks.  They have been having the auctions for over 20 years and people bring all kinds of animals (and junk).  Much care needs to be taken that you buy and bring home only healthy birds as there is a reputation of some people bringing culls and sick animals there to get rid of them.

Usually, people start showing up around noon, they start checking in the stuff by one pm, and auction starts at four pm.  We have seen them pull up tractors and trucks for light when the auction goes after dark.  It got so big that one month last year they had two auctioneers going at the same time, big mistake to split the crowd, however I did but three BS chicks for $13 each and the stuff we took to sell didn't do well either.

Normally we do well there selling guineas, chickens, and turkeys.  I never take peas there although I will buy some occasionally.

Guess what KsKingBee? We have gotten 2" so far!

Thanks for the info on the auction, sounds interesting. I know clay center has a monthly one as well but I don't think they do it all winter, just spring/summer/fall months. I haven't learned of any in my immediate area.

We got a lot of moisture already, I couldn't even walk without slippy sliding when I was rescuing the wet peabrains.

Back
Top Bottom