It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
Okay pulled this off all recipe site will try it tomorrow now will omit the diced tomato for ours and they do not add ham I will
Bean and Bacon Soup

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) package dried navy beans
1 lb ham
1 lb bacon
2 med onions
2 stalks of celery
4 tsp chicken bullion
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 can diced tomato
4 cups ham broth

Directions

Instructions Checklist

Boil the beans in 9 cups of the water and then let sit for one hour. Drain and set aside.

Cook the bacon to your desired texture (it can be soft or crisp, whatever you prefer) and drain except for 1/4 cup grease. Coarsely chop the bacon.

Add the onions and celery to the reserved grease and bacon and saute until soft, do not drain. Add the chicken base or cubes, 4 cups water, beans, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and cloves, and simmer for 2 hours.

Stir in the tomatoes with their juice. Serve.
I also saw one that added refried beans to get that thickness and I think just a drop of liquid smoke too.

Ok, I found some really weird Summer Soup Recipes from a old SC Church Cookbook. I'll be trying one out in the summer for a dessert when watermelon comes back in season!

Just Peachy Soup
2 cups peaches peeled and sliced
1- 12oz. jar peach nectar ( I personally have never seen this in the grocery store)
1 tsp lime juice, 1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 cup fat free peach yogurt
1 cuo sliced strawberries
1/8 tsp cinnamon
Combine peaches, cinnamon,peach nectar and lime juice in blender until pureed. Pour into a med bowl, fold in yogurt and mix. Refrigerate overnight. Top each bowl with a 1/4 cup strawberries. Makes 4 bowls

Icy Watermelon soup
1/2 seedless watermelon cut into chunks
1/2 cup orange juice
2 limes or 2 T. lime juice
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup non-fat plain or vanilla yogurt
4 large strawberries
4 lime slices
freshly grated or bottled ginger(did not say how much in recipe)
In a food processor add melon,orange juice, lime juice and wine in batches, adding ginger to the last batch. If it seems thick, thin with more OJ. Stir in yogurt. Refrigerate in large bowl for 3 -4 hours. Garnish with a slice of lime and sliced strawberries. Serves 4

Look for it in the latino ethnic isle drink section. it's in an aluminum can in Colo. I think brand is Junez??

Here in WY they sell peach nectar in either the ethnic aisle or the juice aisle (where the bottled or canned juices are, not the refrigerated section). I like to add it to my iced tea in the summer.

Peach Nectar.JPG

My daughter's favorite soup.
CHUNKY HAM & POTATO SOUP
2 c. Water
3 TBSP butter
3 Med Potatoes
1 small Onion
3 c Milk
3 TBSP Flour
1 c. Ham cubed
Red and Black Pepper to taste
Hefty pinch of sugar ( opt)

DIRECTIONS:
Peel taters cut into cubes. Bring water to boil in large saucepan,add potatoes cook till tender. Drain , reserving liquid , set aside potatoes measure 1 cup of cooking liquid , set aside. Peel and finely chop onion melt butter in saucepan ; cook stirring frequently until onions trasnclucent and tender, but not brown. Add flour to saucepan season with perpper flakesto taste. Cook 3-4 minutes. Gradually add potatoes; reserved 1 cup liquid milk and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan stir well. Add cheese and Ham ,simmer over low heat 30 minutes. Stirring frequently or it will burn .
Prep time 35 min.
LOW CARB I thought about cauliflower in place of taters. I add more ham cause hubby is a carnivore!
It's a nice change from the creamy types. Penny you could top with bacon pieces .

CROCK POT STEW/SOUP

2-3 stalks celery cut up , 2-3 raw peeled carrots cubed , (if using raw potatoes cook here too ) parboil in small amount of water night before.
Reserve water . Put all in fridge

Next a.m. put all in smaller crock pot.
2 raw tater or use can potatoes
1 large onion
2#stew meat , cut up roast , etc. ( can use hamburger) browned
1 #2 can tomatoes your choice
1 #2 can french green beans with juice
2-3 peppercorns, salt to taste.
3 cubes or beef bouillon paste.
2-3 cups of water to cover all cook all day on low. 8 hours
( #2 can=16 ozs. )

CROCK POT STEW/SOUP

2-3 stalks celery cut up , 2-3 raw peeled carrots cubed , (if using raw potatoes cook here too ) parboil in small amount of water night before.
Reserve water . Put all in fridge

Next a.m. put all in smaller crock pot.
2 raw tater or use can potatoes
1 large onion
2#stew meat , cut up roast , etc. ( can use hamburger) browned
1 #2 can tomatoes your choice
1 #2 can french green beans with juice
2-3 peppercorns, salt to taste.
3 cubes or beef bouillon paste.
2-3 cups of water to cover all cook all day on low. 8 hours
( #2 can=16 ozs. )
Looks very good

I have no exact recipes but have found adding soy sauce, ginger and mirin to my beef stew was a good idea even though it wasn’t remotely Asian style. Just added some complexity.
Lot's of things can go in but like you I add spices .. harissa or jalapeno.. Chorizo is a good choice in there also .. Tend more that way

Lot's of things can go in but like you I add spices .. harissa or jalapeno.. Chorizo is a good choice in there also .. Tend more that way
I agree chorizo adds tons of flavour and a nice bit of fat. Harissa is anew one for me, the roasting must bring out the flavours more and the rose version seems particularly interesting. I am experimenting with rosehips and rosewater. Underrated.

Back
Top Bottom