Its time for me to build a coop !!!!!!!!!

Would be good to show the other side of floor.
Naturally, that’s one of the pictures I was too excited to take…. We basically just used washers and screws to secure the hardware cloth to the tops of the joists then laid the subfloor right on top of the hardware cloth and secured it to the joists. With the weight of the sand (and me!) the floor doesn’t even creak like you’d think it might (because of the screw heads).

Would be good to show the other side of floor.
Why? Flipping the floor will be a pian in my butt, it's pretty heavy. This is how its built under there
I have 4 2X6X8 studs 19 inches apart and the other 4 as the outside base of the coop which just makes it a sqaure and a 2X4X8 where the two pieces of plywood meet
My plywood boards are 4X8, so we had to use 2 of them
they are 7 16ths of an inch plywood boards

And don't be afraid to take things back apart if you find that you made an error. Screws back out as well as go in.
i had to do this like 10 times when trying to find the studs
but then i used a simple life hack you just find where the screws are at the stud put a screw at the top each side of the stud and put a 2x4 to tell where the stud is

We made something very similar and here is what I wish we had…
1. Propped it up by more bricks/pavers. Since you plan on painting it, when the roof drains onto the mud, Urgh. Splash marks. I know that’s not hugely important but building is the fun part, painting it is…not. The weeds also grow very well right at the edges and no mower is getting close enough to fix that.
2. A drainage hole in the floor. Now that you have started to build a grand chicken house (our local hardware thought we were extending our house) I know every now and then I want to give it a good clean out. Swiping water out the door to drain out a solid floor flood is also not fun.
The hardest part is stopping the design and starting the build, so I reckon you are a long way to being close to finished! Just make sure you get someone to agree to help paint BEFORE they watch you and decide they don’t like the look of helping. Maybe they that is “I wish” #3.
1B8F2B52-35B2-4FE4-972C-521E1C8B9026.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom