1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's time to play again! WHAT'S THAT BREEEEED?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickschool, Jun 2, 2011.

1. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    I was given 4 fertile eggs to let my silkies hatch (first time) and we ended up with these. Any guesses? They are almost 5 weeks old and I have been told that they came from a hen house of RR, Bantams and Americana's. Basically they are probably mutes which is fine with me I'd just like the education on beginning to tell them apart. Obviously I am very new to this.

#1 little yellow dude in the back
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 again
    [​IMG]

#2 once more
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 again
    [​IMG]

#3 once more
    [​IMG]

2. jimmy47

jimmy47 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Rainelle WV
    Look like Ameracauna and Silver Laced Wyandotte

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:Agree.....but they look younger than 5 weeks.....here is one of mine just before 5 weeks
    [​IMG]

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:Bantam is a size not a breed, I would guess mix breeds since they were all in the same pen. I would guess the one with puff cheeks to be an EE the other white one I am not sure would wait to see how they feather in, the black and white one looks like a Barred rock or SLW and I agree they look small for 5 weeks mine had most of their adult feathers by that age.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    1 and 2 are EE's (crosses)

3 looks like a silver laced wyandotte.

6. chichick

chichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Quote:i agree with you.

7. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Oops, my bad. I was looking at the date we put the eggs under the hen. duh They hatched on May 12 so that puts them at 3 weeks old. [​IMG]

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:i agree with you.

Chris

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Bantam is a size not a breed, I would guess mix breeds since they were all in the same pen. I would guess the one with puff cheeks to be an EE the other white one I am not sure would wait to see how they feather in, the black and white one looks like a Barred rock or SLW and I agree they look small for 5 weeks mine had most of their adult feathers by that age.

Bantam is a size not a breed,

Depends on the person you are talking to and and what they have.
    There is a breed called a Rosecomb Bantam that are sometimes simply referred to as a "Bantam". [​IMG]

Chris​

10. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    I should clarify that I do know that the Bantam usually refers to the size not breed. I just don't know what the people I got the eggs from have and threw out the word. I didn't mean for it to cause any issues.[​IMG]

That being said can anyone tell me what the difference is between and americana and an easter egger and how you can tell?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by