It's time to play again! WHAT'S THAT BREEEEED?

chickschool

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Traverse City, MI
I was given 4 fertile eggs to let my silkies hatch (first time) and we ended up with these. Any guesses? They are almost 5 weeks old and I have been told that they came from a hen house of RR, Bantams and Americana's. Basically they are probably mutes which is fine with me I'd just like the education on beginning to tell them apart. Obviously I am very new to this.

#1 little yellow dude in the back
81690_img_6675.jpg

81690_img_6693.jpg

#2 again
81690_img_6678.jpg

#2 once more
81690_img_6698.jpg

81690_img_6684.jpg

#3 again
81690_img_6676.jpg

#3 once more
81690_img_6700.jpg

Quote:
Bantam is a size not a breed, I would guess mix breeds since they were all in the same pen. I would guess the one with puff cheeks to be an EE the other white one I am not sure would wait to see how they feather in, the black and white one looks like a Barred rock or SLW and I agree they look small for 5 weeks mine had most of their adult feathers by that age.

Quote:
Bantam is a size not a breed, I would guess mix breeds since they were all in the same pen. I would guess the one with puff cheeks to be an EE the other white one I am not sure would wait to see how they feather in, the black and white one looks like a Barred rock or SLW and I agree they look small for 5 weeks mine had most of their adult feathers by that age.

Bantam is a size not a breed,

Depends on the person you are talking to and and what they have.
There is a breed called a Rosecomb Bantam that are sometimes simply referred to as a "Bantam".
wink.png

Chris​

I should clarify that I do know that the Bantam usually refers to the size not breed. I just don't know what the people I got the eggs from have and threw out the word. I didn't mean for it to cause any issues.
big_smile.png

That being said can anyone tell me what the difference is between and americana and an easter egger and how you can tell?

Back
Top Bottom