Ive gone and done it now!

mystil

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
West of England
Hello Guys
As some of you are aware I have 13 embden eggs being incubated. Well to cut a long story short saw an advert online for some geese we had been keeping an eye out for (West of England geese, which are not easy to find where we are- in the west of england!).

So off we went to have a look at this trio of West of Englands.They are four years old. Looked into their stable and saw their baby blues and the rest was history! They went straight into the back of my car and althought brusied from the trip (the gander was going mad to get out and hurt the end of his wings) arrived okay. My car came off worst- the poo smell was amazingly strong!).

I dont fancy being the mechanic who is fixing my car tomorrow!

My question is should we leave them in their shed with food and water for the day to acclimatise to their new home? We are out tomorrow and I dont want to let them out until I can watch them ideally.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello Guys
As some of you are aware I have 13 embden eggs being incubated. Well to cut a long story short saw an advert online for some geese we had been keeping an eye out for (West of England geese, which are not easy to find where we are- in the west of england!).

So off we went to have a look at this trio of West of Englands.They are four years old. Looked into their stable and saw their baby blues and the rest was history! They went straight into the back of my car and althought brusied from the trip (the gander was going mad to get out and hurt the end of his wings) arrived okay. My car came off worst- the poo smell was amazingly strong!).

I dont fancy being the mechanic who is fixing my car tomorrow!

My question is should we leave them in their shed with food and water for the day to acclimatise to their new home? We are out tomorrow and I dont want to let them out until I can watch them ideally.

Thanks
Yes they will have no idea where they are and they'll be looking to find their way home.. I'd keep them up inside a fenced area for a week or more, Some one on another thread went and got some geese came home put them inside a run any way it was fenced they found their way out and took off she never did find them. Congrats on your geese now please post pics because I have never seen West of England geese before.

Yes I agree and confine them until they settle to their new home. What a great find and choice. Very nice medium sized breed and their pied pattern makes them very striking. Saw a lovely trio at last year's National show.

Dont forget to post pics for other members to see ;)

Will do with the pictures tonight when I get back from work. I assume that we keep them in a pen that is big enough for them but not too big to get a clear area to fly off from?

The gander is lovely, very nice to handle although he had a sneeky peck at my other half when he was putting food in their shed! Cheeky blighter. He pretended to stick his head in the feeder and instead went for his hand.

No damage done though.

Yes they'll need some room to feel comfortable but usually soon settle. If they're in breeding condition then they may start nest construction which will help them establish in their new territory.

Yes the Ganders can all get a little naughty at this time of the year. I just got a nip from a yearling gander this morning that I hadn't paid enough respect to!!!

One of the girls has already layed her eggs this year. She did it in Janurary and got broody but nothing came of it, probably due to the snow we had.
Now just trying to get her back in condition. I would be surprised if they lay again this year, would you?

Some pictures....The gander keeping a careful watch over his girls, while they scoff all the food.

Enjoying the new "pond" I bought this morning. Got some very wierd looks as I walked down the street with it.

One of the girls has already layed her eggs this year. She did it in Janurary and got broody but nothing came of it, probably due to the snow we had.
Now just trying to get her back in condition. I would be surprised if they lay again this year, would you?

Some pictures....The gander keeping a careful watch over his girls, while they scoff all the food.

Enjoying the new "pond" I bought this morning. Got some very wierd looks as I walked down the street with it.
Their beautiful!! are they a prue breed of goose or a mixture of different breeds. I've never heard of the breed before. Maybe a little history?

Their beautiful!! are they a prue breed of goose or a mixture of different breeds. I've never heard of the breed before. Maybe a little history?
They are a pure breed. They were standardised in the UK in 1999 but have been about before 1600. They are autosexing and are were a meat breed. The fact that they are rare was partly why we wanted them, the help the breed. The ganders are white with a possibility of faint markings and the females have this pied look. Can be anywhere on there bodies apparently. Only 3 people I can find in South west of england who breed them.

They are a pure breed. They were standardised in the UK in 1999 but have been about before 1600. They are autosexing and are were a meat breed. The fact that they are rare was partly why we wanted them, the help the breed. The ganders are white with a possibility of faint markings and the females have this pied look. Can be anywhere on there bodies apparently. Only 3 people I can find in South west of england who breed them.
Wow what a nice find for you. looking forward to seeing goslings when you get them.

Back
Top Bottom