ive gone blank. help.. :\

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shmooborp, May 18, 2008.

1. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

i need answers! should i hatch in the carton or not? put rubber mating down? whats better??? ahhhh! its day 18! gulp. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I didnt use a carton, but my next hatch I will. Chicks rolling eggs all over, and pushing little eggs into big empty shells. Grrr.

3. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    I hatched in a carton, and will not do it any other way!!!

4. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    I plan to try a carton next time as well but I worry that it will take in some of the humidity causing the humidity to drop...??

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

i was worried about that to. but i just started out from the begining with it and havent had a problem.. it will definatly make things to the point of adjusting. but it works well for turning. so i think im gonna use the carton to hatch. [​IMG] wednesday is the 21.. the due date. im soo exited [​IMG] i sure hope they hatch.. i just whent out and bought some shavings for bedding [​IMG]))

6. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    I have hatched over 300 chicks this year and all of them have been in the carton. Easier clean up and keeps the chicks from moving the eggs.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've been using cartons for the last 2 or 3 months to hatch in and have had very good luck. I do put the rubber shelf liner down under the cartons tho....helps on the clean-up too.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Hasn't been a problem for me.

9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Hi! Yay! I used the rubber mat, and wouldn't do it any other way. I chickened (excuse the pun) out at the last second and didn't use a carton. I'm not sure if I will this time or not. I can't wait to see what you get! Save some room for blrw bantams though!

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It won't change the humidity once the fibers reach equilibrium with the rest of the humidity. A carton isn't a desiccant, and even descants can only adsorb so much water until they reach equilibrium.

I don't use a carton, but people have success either way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by