I've got a Golden sexlink with a taste for mouse!

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I have two cats who sadly, kill things for sport. They will kill mice and shrews and only eat some of it, and they will kill birds from time to time. I don't know if feed matters, but I feed my chickens scratch and peck starter feed for the protein. But when I let them out, one of my golden sexlinks in particular, will go and find the mice/birds/shrew my cats kill, and run around with it like she won the lottery! Then the other chickens will follow, and she will smack it on the ground as if it were a worm and commence in eating it! I have let her once or twice because she would run away from me when I tried to get it form her, and she would eat the whole thing before I would get her to drop it. Is this bad for her? Should I be concerned about her eating it? She looks like a dinosaur when she is smacking it on the ground, and honestly, dead mouse, is now her favorite treat! Thanks in advance, Avery

My golden Sexlink is my best egg layer! She is around 2 years old and lays the biggest eggiest eggs of the whole flock! I just wanted tomato sure that I wasn't gonna give her some weird mouse disease or something, but it pretty funny to watch honestly! It's cool that your chickens hunt them though! Thats awesome!

We NEVER use poison! Our dog got poisoned from that on christmas ounce, so we wound never use it. Its also terrible for the environment so I wouldn't use it anyway. WE don't have grit, but I will be sure to get some! There are plenty of little pebbles in our drive way for them to eat on free range in the mean time. Thanks for all the help! Avery

Back
Top Bottom