I've had a rough couple of weeks...

SilverPhoenix

Bantam Fanatic
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Penn Valley, CA
So in the last two weeks I've:

* Lost one two week old duckling unexpectedly.
* Lost four newborn serama chicks because the mother rejected them when they hatched while I was on vacation. (She rejected all that hatched after her first three, for some reason, despite them being perfectly healthy.)
* Put down my beloved sixteen-year-old cat due to kidney failure.
hit.gif

* Almost had to put down my beloved twelve-year-old hen because of a severe injury (she made it and is doing fine now!)
* Was told one of my young chickens was killed while I was on vacation (turned out no one had been killed, but it sure stressed me out).
* Had a worrisome duck injury that is, in fact, perhaps just a deformity that showed up later than I thought. Thankfully the duck is just fine despite his slightly odd crooked neck.

I hope the death and injury streak is over now.
sad.png
It's been really sad and stressful... This was all occurring while I was on vacation and before I left and after I came back, to make it all even more stressful. Thankfully, all of my remaining pets seem stable, happy, and healthy, so hopefully there will be no more of this.

On the upside, I do have four healthy and adorable serama chicks, and the last three of those points above turned out just fine despite seeming disastrous at first.

Just wanted to share with some people who would understand. I feel better now that things have calmed down, but it has been a rough time.

Maybe with all of those "death problems",things reached the point that they
can only get better for you now.
I lost a few young chicks (2 month olds) that my male guinea
decided to attack while they were free ranging.
Here's to wishing you some better luck.

Yes, I think things have hopefully settled down now. Since I put my cat down a few days ago, my luck seems to have improved. I think I lost my duckling to my guineas as well, so I know the feeling. It's sad. Thankfully, for some reason my guineas have accepted all of my older chicks and I'm not planning on adding any more birds to my coop with the guineas, so there's peace there.

hugs.gif
I appreciate the good thoughts! Sending you good thoughts, too, and hoping you don't lose any more of your birds.

Quote:
Thank you, thankfully things seem to be improving. It was tough, I get really attached to my animals and in several of these circumstances I was wracked with guilt because I had made choices that lead to death or injury in some cases. I was always just making the decision on my best judgment, though, and was not expecting the problems that occurred.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom