I've never had a fresh egg before, especially not my pets egg....

At first I was leery of eating home grown eggs. They are kind of thick. But once I got over it I wont eat store eggs. But I have a confession. When I eat my eggs, which is maybe once a week, I have to cook them old style like in real butter or bacon grease. Just gotta break down and do it!!

Our little flock just turned 20 wks so we are (somewhat) patiently awaiting the first egg! I too have been wondering how it would feel to break and eat those first eggs, as all I've ever known is the store-bought variety. Then I googled "battery hen" and saw the deplorable conditions in which these poor hens spend their short "life." Now whenever I open the egg carton I just feel HORRIBLE knowing where they came from. I'm so glad that soon I'll no longer be a part of all that. I'll be eating eggs that are from happy hunting, ranging hens privatley laid in a soft nest box. Its the mass-produced stuff that should feel foreign to us! This is the way it's all supposed to be!

Anyway, didn't mean to step up onto a soapbox. Suffice it to say, I'm ready for the eggs! Good luck with all yours!

omg....to think how many people have never eaten a fresh egg. Not only is there a difference in the taste I've noticed store bought eggs smelll not so good when they are cooking. Have pride in the fact you are eating fresh and healthy my children didn't know how good they had it when they were growing up home grown beef,fresh from the cow milk,cottage cheese,yougart,eggs,homegrown vegetables and homemade bread. Enjoy
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Store bought eggs are NOT fertile. Some people who are new at incubating put store bought eggs in their incubators first to practice with adjusting the temperature and humidity levels in the incubator before they put eggs they want to hatch in the incubator. You can't mess up store bought eggs.

I love my fresh eggs... Some people are a little put off by them until they do try them, then they don't want to go back to a store bought egg. I think of it this way, I know what my birds are eating but the chickens that lay the store bought eggs are just given a layer feed.

I recently had a double yolk egg inside a double yolk egg. Yum Yum!!! When I broke the first egg open the first two yolks broke.
IMG_3018.jpg
IMG_3019.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree!!! You will eat their egg and then you will go right out and give your hens a treat and thank them for giving you such nice eggs!!! It is the natural way of life/food! I was a skeptic at first and I bought my first fresh dozen from my step-sons friend. I was sooooo weirded out but I hard boiled an egg and noticed that the egg white was sooooo white and creamy looking. I took a bite and didn't know an egg white could taste, and taste So creamy and have texture! And that dozen was a couple weeks old! My eggs are SOOOO creamy and good, I can't even explain. My hens have just started laying 2 weeks ago. We treat them every day in thanks for their eggs and my special-needs step-daughter gives tham all loves and kisses for their eggs. After you eat the first you appreciate that hard shell, creamy egg and little speckle on the egg! PAULA DEAN just got rescue hens and said her family commented that her corn bread has never been better and she credits her fresh eggs! If you are iffy, make a merangue or custard or ice cream to get the amazing taste and texture!!!

Hello everyone.
smile.png
Thank you for your responses. Just an update....

I ate the eggs today. I made an omlette. You are all correct! The difference between store bought and my eggs were similar to comparing skim milk to whole. They tasted like I added butter and cream to them! I'm sure it will get easier
smile.png

BTW, we have 5 hens that started laying on the 20th and today is the 28th (well its passed midnight) and we had 17 eggs in 8 days. Love it and love our chickens!

Have a great day.

When I first read the post about hatching store bought eggs i thought that my fear of breaking an egg into my hot pan and a chick coming out could really happen.... Im glad it cannot, as a kid it always used to freak me out....

I wonder if my chicken's eggs will really be the best, I think i have already had "my best" because my aunt and uncle have chickens, and last time we were at their house, for breakfast we had eggs. I loved running around and collecting eggs (I knoow it sounds really childish, buuuuuuuut it was fun) This was what prompted us to get chickens. But I really want to taste one thats still warm kinda fresh, becase I cannot imagine how that would taste.... I am "patiently" waiting for my hens to lay, they need to lay faster though!!!

I found a really great way to boil fresh eggs.

For every 5-6 eggs, you add 1/4 cups of salt. Ours were horrible to peel but once we did this, they practically fell off!

Back
Top Bottom