Status
Not open for further replies.

CarriBrown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 21, 2007
Thousand Oaks, California
I gave everyone Ivermectin 0.1% (.15cc per lb) to treat worms. It was given to me by the vet, but I forgot to ask if we could still eat their eggs. Does anyone know?
I have to give them another treatment in 10-14 days, so I'm looking at almost a month of wasted eggs! So, hopefully they are still good to eat...
fl.gif

First off, you don't need to re-worm in 10 days, every 2 to 3 months or so is fine with Ivomec . On eating the eggs, don't. Wait until they have laid at least 5 eggs after treatment before eating them. Good luck!

Thanks for the info, Cuda. I tried looking around online but found nothing.
The vet says to worm them again in 10-14 days, then every 3-4 months. We had a fecal float done and they did find round worms (What are the worms that are deadly to turkeys?) so maybe that is why he wants me to re-worm?

Sounds like over kill to me, but I am sure he has his reasons. It won't hurt them, but will be hard on their system. I use Ivomec to worm my turkey's too. Follow the link on my last post to my site for more information. Good luck!

I think you worm again in two weeks to get any eggs that are in their systems and hatch out later. And you need to wait about two weeks or so to eat the eggs, I've been told. It's why I used Eprinex PourOn. I figure with no meat or milk withdrawal, there should be no egg withdrawal, either.

Thanks, Cyn. We really don't eat their eggs anyway. We usually give them away to our neighbors and friends, but I enjoy giving them away. There was a reason the vet gave me this med instead of another option, but he's so long winded that I spaced out!
roll.png

Quote:
re-worming in ten days (especially when advised to do so by your vet) IS a good idea. Not all ivermectin formulations are the same and in addition it does not get all the worms despite it being one of the most effective wormers out there. Some stages (early) will not be affected by the med and this is why you are advised to repeat in ten days.

Quote:
I agree. We have dairy cows and use Eprinex PourOn. It has never come through in the testing the plant does each and every pickup. We drink our own milk and have never had any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom