Ivermectin Oral Paste vs Oral liquid for Poultry Lice

LateBirdFarms

Crowing
Apr 17, 2020
Ontario
We had a silkie come to us with some MAJOR lice issues. More feathers under her chin and behind her ears were more covered in eggs than not, the poor thing. Lucky it was a very quick discovery and she hasnt made it near our coop, and I've been diligent about keeping her care until after I see my other ladies, different outfit and shoe covers. Permethrin has always been my treatment of choice, but an old time chickener mentioned using equine ivermectin oral on the back of her neck and tail.

So, when DH was at the feed store, I asked him to have a look and bring some home. Now I had the funny shaped bottle of liquid in mind, but my husband being a horse guy automatically went for the oral wormer paste that he used as a seasonal preventative regularly.

So my question is, is this useless to me? It's the stuff similar to the safeguard paste in the syringe like tube.

We had a silkie come to us with some MAJOR lice issues. More feathers under her chin and behind her ears were more covered in eggs than not, the poor thing. Lucky it was a very quick discovery and she hasnt made it near our coop, and I've been diligent about keeping her care until after I see my other ladies, different outfit and shoe covers. Permethrin has always been my treatment of choice, but an old time chickener mentioned using equine ivermectin oral on the back of her neck and tail.

So, when DH was at the feed store, I asked him to have a look and bring some home. Now I had the funny shaped bottle of liquid in mind, but my husband being a horse guy automatically went for the oral wormer paste that he used as a seasonal preventative regularly.

So my question is, is this useless to me? It's the stuff similar to the safeguard paste in the syringe like tube.
Can you get a photo of what you have? Is it just Ivermectin paste or does it have Praziquantel too?

Sorry! I've had to have been out about 2 dozen times to get the picture, and each time I managed to forget what I was doing!

20201204_092908.jpg

20201204_093000.jpg

Ha.... I couldn't read without my glasses n I thought all the pertinent information was on the back.. but now that I do have my eyes on I can see the "see insert" part.. which I will look at this afternoon when I get back out there.

Apparently I'm guilty of jumping to conclusions, now that I look at the package again, it says "liquid" on the front. Because I'm used to the weird syringe type paste wormers, I guess my brain read paste and just went with it. Though I'm going to have to open the bag up to actually look at it, I'm having a hard time accepting that its actually a liquid in there!

This looks to be the strength of the avl liquid ivermectin:

1607096647016.jpeg

Usually with 5 mg per ml (which is half as strong as the product above,) chickens are given 0.045 ml per pound once and repeated in 14 days. With 10 mg per ml, give 0.0225 ml per pound. That would equal 0.125 for a 5 pound chicken. Be very careful to use a 1 ml syringe to measure this tiny amount. I don’t know if you can buy a 1 ml syringe at your pharmacy in Canada or not. @Wyorp Rock does that sound good to you? I am terrible at math, so check it carefully.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, the both of you! Your wealth of knowledge is phenomenal and whole heartedly appreciated! :bow

Must the drench be administered orally? Does it have to be the cattle pour on to do the skin contact drop method? The absolutely adorable old guy said to use the oral as drops on the back of my ladies necks would do the trick, and with such a tricky dose, even though I do have a some syringes small enough to get a correct dose, I know I've read somewhere that chickens are very sensitive to the oral treatment and there were a few words of caution and bolded warnings after that... So I want to be doubly sure of what I'm doing! 😅

AND the poor little ball of fluff also has round worms. Will the Ivormec take care of those as well, with the same dosage? Or is that an application of Safeguard at the same time, before the ivermec, or after a certain length of time?
She is perking- up a good deal after a spa day and some proper feedings, but the last thing I want is to overload her with a cocktail of chemicals on top of everything else she's going through without a little bit of expert guidance! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Ivermectin has said to have lost some of it’s effectiveness as a wormer due to it’s overuse as a mite treatment. So to insure treatment for worms, SafeGuard or Valbazen are good chiices for worming. If you an get a fecal float to check for worm eggs after treating with the ivermectin, you could check and see if there are worm eggs in the droppings.

I came here to search for advice on using Ivermectin vs. Valbazen Drench wormer. Is the VD easily given or is there a topical version?

I read a few things and thought the correct answer might be Valbazen, as it treats tapeworms (and most of the other common worms), mites, and lice. Seems like a broad spectrum answer to a variety of issues?

The one thing I haven't found consistent info on is egg withdrawal time?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom