Ivermectin.....paste?

HeatherEmme

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
I've found posts on ivermectin here when searching, but most of what I've found is info on the oil-based drops and what ever kind you'd get to dilute in water.

I have a grand total of 3 chicks and can not see myself needing to spend the $40 on 250mls of pour on. I would only need so little it's like a waste of money. IMO...

My local farm supply store carries Ivermectin paste 1.87% (says equine) for $8 bucks...has anyone used the paste? Is it possible for that form to be used on chickens?

Also, what form of ivermectin are people using to put in their chickens water? I'd read the oil-based does not mix with water and therefore does not work best to put in water feeders...

Quote: Use 1% Injectable and mix 1 ML per Qt of water
There's no way to measure the pastes.
If you store it in a cool dark place, a bottle of the injectable will keep for at least two years

Each measured line of equine paste wormer does 250 lbs. body weight of animal!!! You can't possibly divide that out safely to your chickens. Consider sharing a bottle of the injectable or pour-on Ivermectin; it will keep in a dark cabinet at least to the expiration date. Mary

I'm not really sure what an equaled line measures out to, but some sites I have read said their vets recommended a small 'dot' of it. Less than pea size basically. They put it on a piece of bread or treat and feed it to them that way.

I'm still on the fence about this. We don't have any friends who have chickens so there's no one to share and split the cost with. It's $45 bucks at Tractor Supply here. Even if we keep it cool and stored for 2 years and treat twice a year for two years as recommended, we'd still be wasting 95% of it and thus the money. It's like deciding if you're really ok with throwing 40 bucks in the trash LOL
hmm.png

Gah! Why is there nothing better on the market for poultry? Makes no sense to me.

I'm not really sure what an equaled line measures out to, but some sites I have read said their vets recommended a small 'dot' of it. Less than pea size basically. They put it on a piece of bread or treat and feed it to them that way.

I'm still on the fence about this. We don't have any friends who have chickens so there's no one to share and split the cost with. It's $45 bucks at Tractor Supply here. Even if we keep it cool and stored for 2 years and treat twice a year for two years as recommended, we'd still be wasting 95% of it and thus the money. It's like deciding if you're really ok with throwing 40 bucks in the trash LOL
hmm.png

Gah! Why is there nothing better on the market for poultry? Makes no sense to me.
x2

Quote: There are other wormers, but you only asked about Ivomec
Ivomec can also be used on dogs and several other species.

If $40 spread over 2 years is too much, I don't see how you can afford chickens at all
It's only about 5 cents a day

There are other wormers, but you only asked about Ivomec
Ivomec can also be used on dogs and several other species.

If $40 spread over 2 years is too much, I don't see how you can afford chickens at all
It's only about 5 cents a day
Wow. Rude much? I'm not sure where you get off bringing my finances up, but for the record it's not a matter of 'affording' it, it's a matter of how much will be wasted. I have a problem with wasting things I bought with the money I worked for and simply cited that for my reasoning for looking into alternative wormers. Guess that translated into I can't afford chickens?

In any case I've picked a wormer I'm satisfied with, but thanks for the help.

Quote: You brought them up, not me.
I answered the questions you asked, which had nothing to do with "other wormers"
I don't see much difference in "wasting" money on something you CAN use, versus wasting it on the Horse Paste, that you can't use

You can always "save money" by using Wazine, (but having to throw the eggs away for 2 weeks)

I've found posts on ivermectin here when searching, but most of what I've found is info on the oil-based drops and what ever kind you'd get to dilute in water.

I have a grand total of 3 chicks and can not see myself needing to spend the $40 on 250mls of pour on. I would only need so little it's like a waste of money. IMO...

My local farm supply store carries Ivermectin paste 1.87% (says equine) for $8 bucks...has anyone used the paste? Is it possible for that form to be used on chickens?

Also, what form of ivermectin are people using to put in their chickens water? I'd read the oil-based does not mix with water and therefore does not work best to put in water feeders...
I do not know if you have dogs too. I have five dogs & I use the ivermectin (injectable) as their heart worm preventative (and general de-wormer {all except when they get a tapeworm}) -- so in addition to using it on my chickens as a de-wormer, de-licer, de-miter, I have it for the dogs. Heart worm preventative would cost a lot more if I were using the standard pills you have to buy from the vet or on-line-- much cheaper using the ivermectin for my dogs in this regard.

The above being said, I also like to follow-up wormers, so I use Wazine sometimes and fenbendazole (panacur) as a second wormer & I only do that about once a year -- you mention "chicks," of course, you should NEVER de-worm chicks or juveniles and some people only de-worm if they see a problem in their adult birds (de-wormers will deform & twist young feathers) -- in nature, there is a natural balance between the worms in the environment and your chickens -- the worms do not effect your chickens unless something else gets out of control (i.e. another disease or problem). When I use the ivermectin on the chickens is when I have an invasion of those red mites -- ivermectin is about the only way to halt them (so as a de-wormer, for scaley leg mite -- they get treated for that too). I do not think ivermectin is very effective mixed in water. I place "X" number of drops depending on the weight of the bird, on the skin between the shoulder blades at the base of the neck (on each bird).

Last edited:
I do not know if you have dogs too. I have five dogs & I use the ivermectin (injectable) as their heart worm preventative (and general de-wormer {all except when they get a tapeworm}) -- so in addition to using it on my chickens as a de-wormer, de-licer, de-miter, I have it for the dogs. Heart worm preventative would cost a lot more if I were using the standard pills you have to buy from the vet or on-line-- much cheaper using the ivermectin for my dogs in this regard.

The above being said, I also like to follow-up wormers, so I use Wazine sometimes and fenbendazole (panacur) as a second wormer & I only do that about once a year -- you mention "chicks," of course, you should NEVER de-worm chicks or juveniles and some people only de-worm if they see a problem in their adult birds (de-wormers will deform & twist young feathers) -- in nature, there is a natural balance between the worms in the environment and your chickens -- the worms do not effect your chickens unless something else gets out of control (i.e. another disease or problem). When I use the ivermectin on the chickens is when I have an invasion of those red mites -- ivermectin is about the only way to halt them (so as a de-wormer, for scaley leg mite -- they get treated for that too). I do not think ivermectin is very effective mixed in water. I place "X" number of drops depending on the weight of the bird, on the skin between the shoulder blades at the base of the neck (on each bird).
Thanks! I have read about using it for dogs as well and am really curious about that as I have two (a lab and a beagle). Are you dosing the injectable in drops? If so, is it absorbing into the skin just like the pour on?

I guess I should say pullets as they aren't really chicks any more. They do not have worms as of yet, but from my experience in animal rescue, I dose any animal I will be coming into contact with on a daily basis for my own peace of mind. I will not be giving them wormer until they're a bit older though. Both wazine and panacur are sold at my local farm supply. Thank you again for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom