IVERMECTIN-pour on dosage

What does 5mg/ml mean
On the label of ivermectin pour on it should give a strength. 5 milligrams per milliliter (or 5mg per ml) is a common strength. Dosage of that strength is 0.045 or rounded off to 0.5 ml per pound of weight is used on the back of a chicken’s neck once, and repeated in 14 days. It can treat lice or mites. It is not a good choice for worming however.

Here is a short clarification on doseage of Ivermectin POUR ON for cattle
in the 5mg per ml option. This is just the doseage math of this product per body weight per the package markings.

10 ml per 220 pounds of body weight = 0.1 ml per 1 pound of body weight.

Doseage per pound would then be:

1 lb = 0.1 ml
2 lb = 0.2 ml
3 lb = 0.3 ml
4 lb = 0.4 ml
5 lb = 0.5 ml (this is one half of a milliliter)
6 lb = 0.6 ml
7 lb = 0.7 ml
8 lb = 0.8 ml
9 lb = 0.9 ml
10 lb = 1.0 ml (one whole milliliter)
11 lb = 1.1 ml
12 lb = 1.2 ml
and so on.

The "number of drops" is dependent upon the size of the dropper you are using to dispense the designated ml of solution. For example, I have a 1cc/ml syringe. When I drop out .05 ml of solution from the syringe (no needle) it takes 3 drops. Changing the size of the dropper opening (such as adding a needle) or the diameter of the syringe may change the number of drops needed to dispense the solution.

Note, another 1 cc/ml syringe might have a different size opening from the one I have. So the individual dropper needs to be tested for number of drops for the ml of solution.
I hope this helps a little. Thanks to everyone for including information from their vets! This helps folks make informed decisions.

AGH! I bought the Ivermectin Sheep Drench which is .08 solution. What would the dosage be for it? Thanks!!

This is what I do per our poultry vet - doesn't always mean it's right.

I use ivomec pour on for cattle (5 mg/ml). I put 3 drops on bantams, 4 regular, 5 really big or fluffy and 6 on my guineas. I use it for Fowl mites. You don't have to withhold eggs. I was told every three weeks but then it was changed to sooner if needed. Also I use a plain old eye dropper. I have had no adverse effect overdosing, as I can say a couple wilder acting birds got much more than directed. I have 63 chickens and 5 guineas so it takes a while. I usually do it after dark with a headlamp and just climb around the coop. Good luck
Hi what is the difference of that brand or the ivermectin pour on by durvet? Is there one? I need to do a treatment for all my birds but don’t want to over do it.

Here is a short clarification on doseage of Ivermectin POUR ON for cattle
in the 5mg per ml option. This is just the doseage math of this product per body weight per the package markings.

10 ml per 220 pounds of body weight = 0.1 ml per 1 pound of body weight.

Doseage per pound would then be:

1 lb = 0.1 ml
2 lb = 0.2 ml
3 lb = 0.3 ml
4 lb = 0.4 ml
5 lb = 0.5 ml (this is one half of a milliliter)
6 lb = 0.6 ml
7 lb = 0.7 ml
8 lb = 0.8 ml
9 lb = 0.9 ml
10 lb = 1.0 ml (one whole milliliter)
11 lb = 1.1 ml
12 lb = 1.2 ml
and so on.

The "number of drops" is dependent upon the size of the dropper you are using to dispense the designated ml of solution. For example, I have a 1cc/ml syringe. When I drop out .05 ml of solution from the syringe (no needle) it takes 3 drops. Changing the size of the dropper opening (such as adding a needle) or the diameter of the syringe may change the number of drops needed to dispense the solution.

Note, another 1 cc/ml syringe might have a different size opening from the one I have. So the individual dropper needs to be tested for number of drops for the ml of solution.
I hope this helps a little. Thanks to everyone for including information from their vets! This helps folks make informed decisions.
Not to quibble with the math, but 10ml/220 pounds is .05 ml per 1 pound of weight, not .1 ml to 1 pound of weight. I don’t know that it makes that much difference though. I ended up doing .3 ml for what I would guess as my average sized birds (maybe 5 pounds?) I am trying to treat scaly leg mites and prevent another outbreak of red roost mites which was a weeks long battle last fall (the only reason I think it subsided was winter came). I am going to treat again in two weeks and then every month through the summer and fall and hope for the best. I am not going to throw my eggs away. The dose they are getting is so minuscule compared to the dose a person would need that even if it did end up in their eggs (I question if it would), it wouldn’t even do any harm. I mean, some people have been using ivermectin to treat a certain pandemic illness which we will not speak of (don’t try that treatment on yourself, please!)

Last edited:
On the label of ivermectin pour on it should give a strength. 5 milligrams per milliliter (or 5mg per ml) is a common strength. Dosage of that strength is 0.045 or rounded off to 0.5 ml per pound of weight is used on the back of a chicken’s neck once, and repeated in 14 days. It can treat lice or mites. It is not a good choice for worming however.
In my post above the dosage should be 0.05 per pound of weight instead of 0.5 ml.

I know this thread is for chickens, but I'm hoping someone can help lend advice for my pigeon, as I believe Ivermectin for poultry and pigeons is the same in essence. I have a pigeon who sleeps indoors with me every night, but he spends every morning through afternoon with an outdoor wild flock, who of course cannot be treated. My pigeon has received his first dose of Ivermectin Spot-on Drops on the skin behind his neck 4 days ago. I would like to know how soon I can repeat the treatment, considering he is exposed to other birds, and therefore, new mites, on a daily basis? I have read that repeating in 1-2 weeks is recommended to kill unhatched eggs, but given that he has daily exposure to new mites from outdoor birds, should I repeat the treatment regularly? Woulld once-a-week be too much? Lastly, I'm confused as to why treatment is supposed to be repeated in 1-2 weeks "to kill unhatched eggs that have hatched". If the Ivermectin essentially makes the bird's blood toxic to blood-suckling parasites, shouldn't it still be active in their systems 1-2 weeks after treatment? How long does it stay active against mites once administered? Thank you so much and hope someone can shed light on these matters for me!

In my post above the dosage should be 0.05 per pound of weight instead of 0.5 ml.
Hi there! How often should my bird be treated with Spot-on Ivermectin behind the neck, on the skin, if my aim is to keep him constantly mite-free? He spends the mornings with a wild flock of untreated outdoor birds but sleeps indoors with me every night. How long will Ivermectin be effective at killing blood-suckers and stay ineffective n his system after every treatment? Would treating once a week be too much?

Hi there! How often should my bird be treated with Spot-on Ivermectin behind the neck, on the skin, if my aim is to keep him constantly mite-free? He spends the mornings with a wild flock of untreated outdoor birds but sleeps indoors with me every night. How long will Ivermectin be effective at killing blood-suckers and stay ineffective n his system after every treatment? Would treating once a week be too much?
Weekly is too often. I believe label says every 3 weeks. But you could supplement with other prevention, like regular bathing, observing if preening is going as it should, herbal sprays that are safe for pigeons but help kill/ prevent lice and mites, etc.

Just fyi, there is a ton on pigeon support available on the Palomacy facebook group page. Best of luck.

Weekly is too often. I believe label says every 3 weeks. But you could supplement with other prevention, like regular bathing, observing if preening is going as it should, herbal sprays that are safe for pigeons but help kill/ prevent lice and mites, etc.

Just fyi, there is a ton on pigeon support available on the Palomacy facebook group page. Best of luck.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, Redbrew! If my bird were based strictly indoors, I'm sure every 3 weeks of Ivermectin drops would be sufficient. Tricky situation that he enjoys spending time with the outdoor flocks, but I know he would be unhappy if I forced him to stay indoors. Would you happen to know how long the mite-killing effects of Ivermectin last in the system of our birds once applied behind the neck? Does it wear off after only a few days? I initially thought it would kill any new mites that bit him up until his next dose, but considering they say repearğtreatment after 7-10 days is necessary to kill newly hatched eggs, I suppose it does not stay effective for any longer than that?

Back
Top Bottom