Ivermectin pour on

Patoot

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Is the Ivermectin pour on for cattle the one I am supposed to use? The feed store has pour-on for cattle or paste for horses. I want to make sure I get the right thing. I assume it's the cattle one I'm supposed to get. Can you confirm? I'm going to the store after work.
smile.png

Bree

Ivermectin pour-on for cattle. If they've never been wormed before, it's better to use Wazine (piperazine-17) first, and then use Ivermectin or Safeguard paste for horses (green and yellow pkg) 2 wks later. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I did use Wazine last weekend so I plan to follow up with the Ivermectin this weekend (14 days).

I saw the dose is 6 drops for giant breeds. Are RIR giant breeds? They aren't full grown either...partly I think because of the worms, but they are still young-ish at about 18wks or so. They are very skinny...but happy and very active.

Bree

Dosages for Ivermectin cattle pour on should be put on bare skin on the back of their necks between their shoulders. Use a syringe with a 20-25 gauge needle....not for injection, but for measurement. Dont get any on their feathers, it's not known what the effects will be....bare skin only as it is quickly absorbed into the skin. For small chickens such as bantams, leghorns, hamburgs, seabrights....3 drops. Medium size such as EE's, sex links....4 drops. Large chickens such as barred rocks, rir's, buff orpingtons, black australorp's....5 drops. For extra large chickens such as jersey giants, big roosters,etc.....6 drops to the back of the neck. It's best to wear plastic gloves and normally a 2 person task. Discard eggs for 2 weeks. The pour on will also take care of most lice/mite problems. Edited: Ivermectin kills most worms including gapeworm, but will not kill tapeworms just for your info.

Last edited:
I've been wondering the same thing. I bought ivermectin pour on for cattle because my 8 pullets are just under 7 months and eating like crazy but not gaining very much weight. I've treated them for coccidioidomycosis and still low weight. They have been laying regularly but I'm still getting a few soft shelled eggs during the night each week. My question is dosage as well as the fact that treating chickens with ivermectin is off label and can cause death. If they do not have worms could they be harmed by an ivermectin treatment?

I've been wondering the same thing. I bought ivermectin pour on for cattle because my 8 pullets are just under 7 months and eating like crazy but not gaining very much weight. I've treated them for coccidioidomycosis and still low weight. They have been laying regularly but I'm still getting a few soft shelled eggs during the night each week. My question is dosage as well as the fact that treating chickens with ivermectin is off label and can cause death. If they do not have worms could they be harmed by an ivermectin treatment?
I stopped using Ivermectin long ago due to its ineffectiveness in treating worms in chickens. I use Safeguard liquid goat wormer, Valbazen cattle/sheep wormer and Pyrantel Pamoate. All three are very safe for treating worms and all three treat the most common worms in poultry and then some.
As far as soft shelled eggs go, ensure they have crushed oyster shell present, free choice. They are still new at laying eggs, give them time for their innards to get used to producing eggs. If after a couple months soft egg shells are still happening, add vitamin D to their feed. Vitamin D helps with calcium absorption for egg production.
Also the coccidioidomycosis may have something to do with the low weight and soft shells.
What treatment did you use for your birds? Standard treatment is Fluconazole.

I stopped using Ivermectin long ago due to its ineffectiveness in treating worms in chickens. I use Safeguard liquid goat wormer, Valbazen cattle/sheep wormer and Pyrantel Pamoate. All three are very safe for treating worms and all three treat the most common worms in poultry and then some.
As far as soft shelled eggs go, ensure they have crushed oyster shell present, free choice. They are still new at laying eggs, give them time for their innards to get used to producing eggs. If after a couple months soft egg shells are still happening, add vitamin D to their feed. Vitamin D helps with calcium absorption for egg production.
Also the coccidioidomycosis may have something to do with the low weight and soft shells.
What treatment did you use for your birds? Standard treatment is Fluconazole.
As
I treated them with corid (amprolium) as a coccidiostat. The soft shelled eggs have ceased. They also receive free choice oyster shell. They are fed Purina oyster strong layer crumbles as well as regular offerings from the garden like collards, broccoli leaves, tomatoes etc. I have two ISA browns and one RIR that are still low weight. I didn't trust the cattle wormer so I'm using zyfend A now.

Back
Top Bottom