Ivermectin pour on

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Patoot, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Is the Ivermectin pour on for cattle the one I am supposed to use? The feed store has pour-on for cattle or paste for horses. I want to make sure I get the right thing. I assume it's the cattle one I'm supposed to get. Can you confirm? I'm going to the store after work. [​IMG]

Bree

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Ivermectin pour-on for cattle. If they've never been wormed before, it's better to use Wazine (piperazine-17) first, and then use Ivermectin or Safeguard paste for horses (green and yellow pkg) 2 wks later. Hope this helps.

3. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Thanks. I did use Wazine last weekend so I plan to follow up with the Ivermectin this weekend (14 days).

I saw the dose is 6 drops for giant breeds. Are RIR giant breeds? They aren't full grown either...partly I think because of the worms, but they are still young-ish at about 18wks or so. They are very skinny...but happy and very active.

Bree

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    If your RIR is smaller and not full grown, you may want to use only 4 or 5 drops. Just a thought.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Dosages for Ivermectin cattle pour on should be put on bare skin on the back of their necks between their shoulders. Use a syringe with a 20-25 gauge needle....not for injection, but for measurement. Dont get any on their feathers, it's not known what the effects will be....bare skin only as it is quickly absorbed into the skin. For small chickens such as bantams, leghorns, hamburgs, seabrights....3 drops. Medium size such as EE's, sex links....4 drops. Large chickens such as barred rocks, rir's, buff orpingtons, black australorp's....5 drops. For extra large chickens such as jersey giants, big roosters,etc.....6 drops to the back of the neck. It's best to wear plastic gloves and normally a 2 person task. Discard eggs for 2 weeks. The pour on will also take care of most lice/mite problems. Edited: Ivermectin kills most worms including gapeworm, but will not kill tapeworms just for your info.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by