Ivomec Pour on for cattle for dogs?? Is this true....

Actually i have had two vets tell me it was ok to use the pour on. One actually took the time to go over the dosage instructions. One of the best reproductive vets in the world specifically told us to use either the paste horse wormer or the cattle pour on since we have so many dogs. But make sure you have the dosage correct.
I've never used the pour on. I use the injection and put it over kibble. I would be concerned about other additives in the pour on that would have a possible side affect.

Yes theory is fun, and what mostly matters is what actually Happened,   I think I will believe  the bible over people that think it was wormer that killed their herd dog, But if you have some conclusive proof that the make up of one k9 verses another is totally different  I would really like to read it, Not somthing put out by other med. salesmen or someones friend, But scientific evidents that states a herd dog does not have the same genetic make of  as all the other dogs on this earth

Please people do not use any meetings on herding animal it will kill them. They have a genetic thing that turns the Ned poison n they will die or be really messed up so that u have to put them down. I had to mini Aussies that a vet treated for mange n he used ivermectin both pups died within 48 hours. This happened in houstin tx. Just wonted uto be. aware

Please people do not use any meetings on herding animal it will kill them. They have a genetic thing that turns the Ned poison n they will die or be really messed up so that u have to put them down. I had to mini Aussies that a vet treated for mange n he used ivermectin both pups died within 48 hours. This happened in houstin tx. Just wonted uto be. aware
there is a simple blood test that can be done to check for ivermectin sensitivity. it's common in a few breeds but not all herding breeds.

Actually it is a mutation that some have. We had a collie and instead of doing test our vet said we will just stay away from anything with ivermectin. Then we dont have to worry. It is the MDR1 gene mutation. Not all have.

Ivermectin can cause neurologic signs even in dogs not affected by the MDR1 gene if overdosed. I think it is pretty easy to do in pets, especially when numbers are rounded. I would not use ivermectin in puppies as overdosing is even easier to do.

Last edited:
when used in puppies or small dogs, it's much easier to avoid overdoses by diluting. It makes measuring much much easier since you can then deal with larger numbers.
I use the very small insulin needles because many commonly sold are larger graduations

when used in puppies or small dogs, it's much easier to avoid overdoses by diluting.    It makes measuring much much easier since you can then deal with larger numbers.  

I use the very small insulin needles because many commonly sold are larger graduations

I don't think that pour on ivermectin is water soluble, but I might be wrong. :idunno

-Kathy

I don't think that pour on ivermectin is water soluble, but I might be wrong.
idunno.gif

-Kathy
you don't use the pour on. You use the injectable. Also, never use the paste form for dogs. Those tubes are made as single dose applications and the medicine is rarely mixed in evenly. So one "dose" given to a dog may have nothing but paste-filler and another dose can have enough (literally) for a horse.

Back
Top Bottom