1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Ivomec Questions

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Crunchie, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Anyone use this for their birds? I keep it on hand for the goats--Ivomec injectable for cattle--we draw up a weight-appropriate dose and then give it orally. Anyway....I think I have a pen that has a mite issue. [​IMG] The pens are on a dirt floor. I do a lot of preventive "maintenance" against mites, and I've never had an issue before. I've dusted with Sevin (pen, nest boxes, roosts, and birds themselves) but I want to make sure I've covered all of my bases. I've heard of using Ivomec for worming/parasites, but I have no idea of:

Dosage?
    Method? Inject SQ, orally?
    Safe to eat eggs from treated chickens? If not, what is the witholding period?

Thanks!

BTW, I don't think this is an issue solved by DE. As a preventive, good, but I've dusted with Sevin twice now and I still suspect an issue. They are in good weight, are laying well, and are as active as usual, but in this particular pen the birds just look a little unthrifty. I might just be impatient, and I might just be unreasonable, expecting my birds to look perfect all of the time...but I really don't want a bug problem!

2. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Songster

Dec 27, 2007
    Try to PM DLHUNICORN. She knows alot about that type of wormer.

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I mix 3 cc's to a gal of water, I cant remember how long to not eat the eggs, I eat the eggs anyways, or hard boil them and feed em back to the birds. I dont use metal waters when I do this, I only use plastic waters................Good luck.......

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Ivomec can be used. I use 1/2 cc on back of neck for bantum,up to 1cc for adults. I do not put it in the mouth because it can be very hard on their kidneys that way. You can use Adams flea & tick mist for mites/lice and can get it at local WAL. Mist under wings, belly and vent, aswell as corners of coop. [​IMG]

5. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Thanks everyone!

When I get back to the computer later, I may PM DHLUnicorn....thanks for the tip, Chickaroo.

I did pick up some Adam's spray, but I thought with the Ivomec I would also knock out any internal parasites, if they happen to have any (I don't know as though my vet would do a fecal for a chicken, so I don't think that it's going to be possible for me to find out for sure if I have them or not).

Chickenzoo, you put it on the skin at the back of the neck? As you would, say, a spot-on flea treatment for a dog? Are you using Ivomec (injectable) or Eprinex (pour-on)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by