Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

About 25 mi. east of the Ohio River, near Parkersburg.
frow.gif

mine aren't due until the 21! can't wait! first batch ever!

Mine are also due on the 21st! Best of luck on your first hatch! Are they shipped eggs or local eggs?
[COLOR=4B0082]Maybe @chick-among-us
can help me figure it out lol. Not sure what all the abbreviations stand for on the eggs.[/COLOR]

I can't really read the eggs when I blow that up...But I recognize the eggs lol.

The sp means split SILKIED ameraucana ( NOT silkie crosses) gene carrying
OE sp = OLive egger split silkied ameraucana ( hatch 50 % silkied
Blue laced red Wyandotte= BLRW
RIR/sp= baby carries the silkied gene but will look smooth until bred to another silkied bird or split
EE= Easter egger
Am= lav/ black ameraucana pure
Bm= blue maran babies will be black copper blue copper or splash or straight blue ( I have a pure blue in this pen)
SBEL = super blue egg layer
S= silkie
C= bantam Cochins
I= iowacanas ( what we call an Iowa blue ameraucana cross)

I think that's all I have except if you got an EE egg that is a black am roo over a silver penciled brahma girl or a gold laced Wyandotte
Oh the silkied roo over the RIR is blue
big_smile.png
After a week of no electric...... Stupid Friggin Landlord......... I have finally got caught back up on the hatch along.

I have 8 of 18 shipped eggs left. As of day 10. All air cells are intact! Woohoo! Lack of sleep is making it hard for me to keep track....

2 WD
2 Silkie
1 EE
1 Bantam Cochin
1 SBEL
1 EE Hen/AM Roo

I also set a few of my own. After this batch I have to set some more as my grandmother ask for me to hatch some for her. In other news, I ordered 15 standard size assorted pullets from Ideal Poultry and all arrived dead
hit.gif
. There was some beautiful chicks in there. One was a showgirl the others I have no clue until I have time to look them up on a chick chart somewhere. I told them I was going to wait until this ridiculous weather was over to reorder. I hated seeing them arrive dead. I thought there would be more packing peanuts than there was.

So, I got struck by the chick bug... Went to the feed store to pick up food for the critters and what do you think was there....spring chicks!!!!.. I had to buy a couple hundred pounds of feed and as a thank you they gave me 8 chicks for a buck each...
Now tell me, who could pass that up??

2 barred rocks
2 leghorns
2 RIR
2 sex links

I think I may go back and get a couple marans and buffs......

I also don't think DH is going to let me go buy feed again
lau.gif

So lets see, 8 Hens, 2 Roosters, 10 Pullets, 8 chicks and 42 eggs in the bator...... Is this what you mean by chicken math?? LOL

Last edited:
Mine are also due on the 21st! Best of luck on your first hatch! Are they shipped eggs or local eggs?
After a week of no electric...... Stupid Friggin Landlord......... I have finally got caught back up on the hatch along.
I got mine local:) found them from a lady on craigslist for a dollar each. she threw in 6 extra. so far as i can tell, 17/18 are fertalized!

mine aren't due until the 21! can't wait! first batch ever!
[COLOR=4B0082] Mine are also due on the 21st! Best of luck on your first hatch! Are they shipped eggs or local eggs?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=4B0082]Maybe @chick-among-us can help me figure it out lol. Not sure what all the abbreviations stand for on the eggs.[/COLOR] I can't really read the eggs when I blow that up...But I recognize the eggs lol. The sp means split SILKIED ameraucana ( NOT silkie crosses) gene carrying OE sp = OLive egger split silkied ameraucana ( hatch 50 % silkied Blue laced red Wyandotte= BLRW RIR/sp= baby carries the silkied gene but will look smooth until bred to another silkied bird or split EE= Easter egger Am= lav/ black ameraucana pure Bm= blue maran babies will be black copper blue copper or splash or straight blue ( I have a pure blue in this pen) SBEL = super blue egg layer S= silkie C= bantam Cochins I= iowacanas ( what we call an Iowa blue ameraucana cross) I think that's all I have except if you got an EE egg that is a black am roo over a silver penciled brahma girl or a gold laced Wyandotte Oh the silkied roo over the RIR is blue :D
[COLOR=4B0082]After a week of no electric...... Stupid Friggin Landlord......... I have finally got caught back up on the hatch along.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I have 8 of 18 shipped eggs left. As of day 10. All air cells are intact! Woohoo! Lack of sleep is making it hard for me to keep track....[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]2 WD[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]2 Silkie[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]1 EE[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]1 Bantam Cochin[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]1 SBEL[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]1 EE Hen/AM Roo[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I also set a few of my own. After this batch I have to set some more as my grandmother ask for me to hatch some for her. In other news, I ordered 15 standard size assorted pullets from Ideal Poultry and all arrived dead :hit . There was some beautiful chicks in there. One was a showgirl the others I have no clue until I have time to look them up on a chick chart somewhere. I told them I was going to wait until this ridiculous weather was over to reorder. I hated seeing them arrive dead. I thought there would be more packing peanuts than there was.[/COLOR]
Ideal is really bad about that. They are in Texas & don't take weather at the destination into consideration when they pack chicks. If you order/reorder at least 10 chicks, all they do is stuff a couple of those bedding pads into half of the box to try to keep the chicks huddled together. Doesn't work. It's best to order from them March to June when temperatures are better for the chicks. Meyer adds extra birds (all males) for warmth as needed to finish filling a box. They ship better during the colder months. They are in Ohio so have a better idea of how the cold effects the birds. I have not ordered from any other hatcheries yet so not sure how some of the others do in comparison to Ideal & Meyers.

Southchick, I am starting to think I would like you to bring me those Wheaten AM eggs after all... And you have Blue &C marans, too? Do you sell those or are you just hatching 'em? Because if you sell them maybe you could bring me 7 of those and some of the others... XD

I'd be happy to! Marans are such a great addition to any flock. Sorry about your luck with the shipped eggs. After reading here about them I think I'd opt for hand delivered ones, too! I'll PM you on how many of each, etc...when it gets closer. (In a couple weeks) thanks :D

Back
Top Bottom