Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

clear end means undigested fluid. if it was day 16 I would say it may just take longer than 21 days to hatch. if it is day 24 well...

Yeah that is what I am thinking I just don't understand why I have had so many issues. I won't give up yet but it does not look promising

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum! Right now I have six eggs in the bator which should hatch next week
clap.gif

I got the eggs through bidding on eBay. Tonight I candled them for the last time before lockdown. I have four (out of 6) Red Orphingtons and two turkey eggs. I'm really hoping for Orphington babies since a fox has discovered my flock this week and killed both my EE and Buff O hens. I will have no eggs now until/if I am able to hatch a couple of hens (then wait another six months or so). I'll get that **** fox sooner or later!
somad.gif

Ahh man, you got a NN. I have more in the bator, and more eggs on the way. I love the ones that are feathered up the front like yours here. This is going to be a good looking NN. Already looks girly from here.

I surely hope so. I also hope it's any color but white. I'm trying for buff.

I am sorry to see that some have lost some little chicks and glad to see that others are making it. We have 10 thriving in the house. My son had a large dog cage that we put in the living room and we watch them. We found one of the 11 eggs that didn't make it. Mama hen has 8 eggs under her that we didn't put there, so she is still sitting. Figure might be another week before they hatch. The little ones in the cage are learning to use their chick skills by scratching for feed, drinking water and getting in their nest to sleep. Even trying out their wings and beaks to see who is going to be boss. We even have a guard dog for them, he can hardly take his eyes off them. He will even go to the chicken house with me.

love.gif
Kathryn

A final update to my Jan hatch. All three under the broody hatched well and are now developing in to lovely chicks. Of the one in the incubator, only 3 hatched with help at the 24 day mark. One made it out ok but developed a bad leg after 4 days(pelvic to hip related)and is very much smaller than his brooded siblings. Called him Hopalong and he has been brought up by the broody just like the others and gets around pretty well. Didn't think he would make it but if he is a rooster which it is looking fairly likely he may as well enjoy his time as long as he does look in pain. One other had spraddle leg from the start and died after 3 days even after sorting it out to a large degree. The other died within a few hours of hatching. I suspect there may have been some problems with the incubator as I changed a couple of things internally from the very successful first hatch, but mostly the problems seem to be related to the parents nutrition. As I said the eggs were from a couple of new chickens that had been raised on a farm so no ides on the fathers heritage. It was a bit of a crap shoot anyway as I already had 4 week old chicks going well, and these were more of an experiment.

Some leanings there and no where near as successful as the first but I am happy I know where things have not worked and may try for some Plymouth rocks or something next time.

Thanks for your help.

Adrian

I've had chicks do this. Typically they will zip down closer to the bottom of the air cell & then begin to zip around the egg once they are at the propper level on the egg.

Both of the chicks that pipped that way hatched out great! Thanks
That is great. I am hopeful to have that many, I am curious to see how my Roos' fertility is this early in the Spring/Winter. I am setting 41 next month with all barnyard mixes, my Niece and I are going to collect eggs from her flock and from my flock. Should be eggciting.

RO
Awesome! I think it's interesting to see what kind of birds mixes end up being...can end up with some pretty birds!
fl.gif
you guys have a very successful hatch! I will look for your updates on it

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum! Right now I have six eggs in the bator which should hatch next week
clap.gif

I got the eggs through bidding on eBay. Tonight I candled them for the last time before lockdown. I have four (out of 6) Red Orphingtons and two turkey eggs. I'm really hoping for Orphington babies since a fox has discovered my flock this week and killed both my EE and Buff O hens. I will have no eggs now until/if I am able to hatch a couple of hens (then wait another six months or so). I'll get that **** fox sooner or later!
somad.gif

Question, are you going to lock down the turkey eggs separate from the chick eggs? They need a much higher humidity..usually, unless you have found out different in hatching them together before. I am always interested in the way folks are hatching, because not everyone does it the same way. I hope you get some Orpingtons! The reds are pretty. :)

Kind of getting old I once again have day 24 eggs that just don't want to hatch only two this time but come on I sure do hope the next batch hatches closer to its due date. I do know both eggs are still viable candled them and float tested them tonight one is kind of strange lots of clear area in pointy end of egg and I can see it moving in that end of the egg but not near the air cell the other egg is a Banty no clear area and can't see movement but movement showed during float test I have 35 eggs due to go into lock down starting today or tomorrow do I just add them to the late eggs already in lockdown? or what?
Yep, just add them to lockdown.
Ahh man, you got a NN. I have more in the bator, and more eggs on the way. I love the ones that are feathered up the front like yours here. This is going to be a good looking NN. Already looks girly from here.
I surely hope so. I also hope it's any color but white. I'm trying for buff.
Actually, a NN roo would be more likely to give you NN babies since the NN gene is dominant. You should hatch 25-50% NN babies from him since he is a bowtie.
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum! Right now I have six eggs in the bator which should hatch next week :clap . I got the eggs through bidding on eBay. Tonight I candled them for the last time before lockdown. I have four (out of 6) Red Orphingtons and two turkey eggs. I'm really hoping for Orphington babies since a fox has discovered my flock this week and killed both my EE and Buff O hens. I will have no eggs now until/if I am able to hatch a couple of hens (then wait another six months or so). I'll get that **** fox sooner or later! :mad:
Question, are you going to lock down the turkey eggs separate from the chick eggs? They need a much higher humidity..usually, unless you have found out different in hatching them together before. I am always interested in the way folks are hatching, because not everyone does it the same way. I hope you get some Orpingtons! The reds are pretty. :)
I lock mine down together & just boost humidity by 10-20% like I do for ducks & chicks hatching together.

Back
Top Bottom