Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

it cannot put the leg straight, and will not bear any weight on it at all

Exactly... It cannot bear any weight and can not stand, when I try and straiten the leg it screams....

I have a little girl that hatched with her back toes up under her foot...and due to walking funny (even though we tried booting her) she now has a splayed leg...she's eating and drinking...gets herself around so we just call her our special needs baby...she'll figure it all out. she's about 3 weeks old now

my little special needs girl is really withering this morning....so sad she fought so hard but her neck bone is really deformed too...I'll just keep her with me today so she feels safe...

I went out and found my little 6 week old frizzle dead...that breaks my heart DANG!!:hit

I just had to euthanize a chick I hatched a couple of days ago that couldn't stand. :hit Legs wouldn't bear any weight and one was way out to the side. I took her/him to the vet this morning because I've never had to cull before.. And he confirmed that it couldn't be fixed. I'm sad, but the quality of life of the chick couldn't be good even if I kept it as a pet. I'm sorry for all our recent losses on this thread... *hugs*

it's tough....the rewards out weigh though...your a good chick mama :hugs

Thanks :) That means a lot. It is very tough... But I did what I thought was best.

Last Day of Feb..had my little barred rock hatch, out of two that went into lock down. At least I got one. Hope it's a girl.

http://www.minkhollow.ca/mhf/doku.php?id=farm:candling:day_25
here is a wonderful site about duck embryo development

don't get worried when it takes forever! you'll witness them hatching for 3 days at least...just keep it very humid...use wet blobs of paper towel and or sponges...you want the humidity really high if you can get it up to 80% that would be great. mine just hatched early at around 45% so don't worry if you have trouble raising it!
good luck! can't wait for ducky pictures :jumpy

Still air works great for hatching ducks. Much lower humidity needed. I aim for around 60% but 50-70% works well in still air.Since duckies are so slow to hatch, the fans dry the membrane too quicky, which is why such a high humidity is needed in forced air bators. The still air lets them take thrir time without drying out.

Quote:

I have a little girl that hatched with her back toes up under her foot...and due to walking funny (even though we tried booting her) she now has a splayed leg...she's eating and drinking...gets herself around so we just call her our special needs baby...she'll figure it all out. she's about 3 weeks old now

my little special needs girl is really withering this morning....so sad she fought so hard but her neck bone is really deformed too...I'll just keep her with me today so she feels safe...

I went out and found my little 6 week old frizzle dead...that breaks my heart DANG!!
hit.gif
I just had to euthanize a chick I hatched a couple of days ago that couldn't stand.
hit.gif
Legs wouldn't bear any weight and one was way out to the side. I took her/him to the vet this morning because I've never had to cull before.. And he confirmed that it couldn't be fixed. I'm sad, but the quality of life of the chick couldn't be good even if I kept it as a pet. I'm sorry for all our recent losses on this thread... *hugs*

it's tough....the rewards out weigh though...your a good chick mama
hugs.gif
Thanks
smile.png
That means a lot. It is very tough... But I did what I thought was best.

that's what we have to do Jan12 we have to live with ourselves
smile.png

Is it pure or mixed? A head spot is a definite male, but some mixes produce solid black instead of barred, so lack of spot does not always guarantee a girl.

Yes, it has a spot, and I think they do a combination now to predict sex...color of legs also. Dark all the way up, or lighter. Have been reading. Oh well, I think it's a girl. Going by everything put together. I thought in the past it was..a more round spot meant girl, and a more oblong/uneven spot meant boy.

Is it pure or mixed? A head spot is a definite male, but some mixes produce solid black instead of barred, so lack of spot does not always guarantee a girl.

Yes, it has a spot, and I think they do a combination now to predict sex...color of legs also.  Dark all the way up, or lighter.   Have been reading.  Oh well, I think it's a girl.  Going by everything put together.   I thought in the past it was..a more round spot meant girl, and a more oblong/uneven spot meant boy. 

Sometimes barred pullets will have a small spot (usually hatchery birds) &?the cocks will have large spots covering most of the top of the head & sometimes part of the neck.

Sometimes barred pullets will have a small spot (usually hatchery birds) &?the cocks will have large spots covering most of the top of the head & sometimes part of the neck.

This little one is a Heritage. Hoping it's a girl.
fl.gif
I haven't had a barred rock out there in a long while. Love how their faces turn all red, not just the comb and wattles.

This little one is a Heritage.  Hoping it's a girl.  :fl   I haven't had a barred rock out there in a long while.  Love how their faces turn all red, not just the comb and wattles.  

I have a hen & a roo that are each partially barred (cuckoo marans cross hen, cuckoo marans or br cross roo) so they throw some barred babies sometimes. Haven't had a spot on a pullet's head at all yet, but I know some lines do throw pullets with smmall head spots & cocks with big spots. If mine have any white on head/neck at all they have been boys.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom