Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

I have a lg and when in lockdown if I need to open the bator I cover it with a damp hot towl stick my hands in get whatever chick or egg I need out then close it back I work quickly and the humidity has not been a issue yet guess Arkansas is more humid than I thought

these are eggs in waiting- waiting for my day 19 eggs to hatch in a couple of days- then I will pop them in the incubator. they are being stored cool but not in a fridge. black copper marans and 2 delawares.

Last edited:

Here are a few of my chickens! Just wanted to show in my excitement of the upcoming hatch :D they've been laying everyday since January. Blue copper Maran hens with black copper roo. Wheaton ameraucanas. I have 22 chickens including a white silkie pair and a leghorn hen. I have 23 active eggs now on day 13. Included are a few mutt eggs from my leghorn and BBS black ameraucana roo. I started with 31 eggs, but lost 2 early embryos, a blood spotted yolk egg, and 5 unfertilized. Enjoying reading your comments, and glad we can share our excitement together because some people don't know how awesome chickens are! :lol:

I have a lg and when in lockdown if I need to open the bator I cover it with a damp hot towl stick my hands in get whatever chick or egg I need out then close it back I work quickly and the humidity has not been a issue yet guess Arkansas is more humid than I thought

You can also use a spray bottle to mist inside the lid before closing. Bumps humidity up by 10-20% instantly.

Here are a few of my chickens! Just wanted to show in my excitement of the upcoming hatch
big_smile.png
they've been laying everyday since January. Blue copper Maran hens with black copper roo. Wheaton ameraucanas. I have 22 chickens including a white silkie pair and a leghorn hen. I have 23 active eggs now on day 13. Included are a few mutt eggs from my leghorn and BBS black ameraucana roo. I started with 31 eggs, but lost 2 early embryos, a blood spotted yolk egg, and 5 unfertilized. Enjoying reading your comments, and glad we can share our excitement together because some people don't know how awesome chickens are!
lol.png

beautiful

I have a beginner question. When I laid all the eggs on their sides this morning for lockdown, it was a really tight fit. They all laid down, but they are all touching/wedged pretty good. Do they need room to push the egg shell of to hatch? Or will they be fine?

I have a beginner question.  When I laid all the eggs on their sides this morning for lockdown, it was a really tight fit.  They all laid down, but they are all touching/wedged pretty good.  Do they need room to push the egg shell of to hatch?  Or will they be fine?
I'm fixing to go through the same thing and when it comes to lock down I plan on setting some eggs up pointy end down and kinda set them in corners to make room for hatching I also plan to remove chicks as they hatch so after first couple I won't have this problem any more note to self less eggs in incubator

One of them looks like it quit about a week ago. 2 have a lot of clear space at the bottom still. The two I know are good, I could see moving like crazy when I candled.

How much do y'all pay for chick starter? I just bought 3lbs at $.80/ lb. I didn't want to buy a big bag in case nothing hatches, but I wanted to have some on hand at least in case they do.

Back
Top Bottom