Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

clearing out the pen is fun- I cleared my pen of all my ordinary or unfriendly hens and was down to ten now I have these in incubator

the very last of which will hatch 13/14th this month

- and these waiting for the incubator

Last edited:
Beee! *hugs* I can't wait to hear more about this! I think I need photos like, now!

I set up my brooder... It seems to be holding steady near 98-100 and I don't even really have the lamp that low... I feel like I could set up a decent incubator in my basement with using this big 'ol brooder lamp as my major heat source... Not sure how I'd do humidity yet. Basically I'd love to hear more about your way of doing it, Bee, to see if I can draw any knowledge from you for my own project!

A look at some of mine. Ended up with 20 BCMs. Not a bad hatch.

Can I join the Feb. hatchalong? This is my first time incubating eggs and I started just today. Very exciting!
wee.gif
I'm hatching 18 LF eggs of mixed breed mutts so I can test out my incubation method before I get better eggs to hatch. I'm using a simulated natural nest incubation for my first go round.
Hey Bee!!! Great to see you on this thread!!! I just started mine recently as well...we can be newbies together!

Can you explain your simulated natural nest method or do you have a pic?
~Jes

Edited to add: Whoops I quoted before I read through the posts...gonna check out your thread now ;)

Last edited:
Southchick, I am starting to think I would like you to bring me those Wheaten AM eggs after all... And you have Blue &C marans, too? Do you sell those or are you just hatching 'em? Because if you sell them maybe you could bring me 7 of those and some of the others... XD

Chicky dee okay so mammy Is huge no teats yet her stomach is firm. She is very skittish. Last night I had a dream she had a black and white patched lamb.

Beee! *hugs* I can't wait to hear more about this! I think I need photos like, now!

I set up my brooder... It seems to be holding steady near 98-100 and I don't even really have the lamp that low... I feel like I could set up a decent incubator in my basement with using this big 'ol brooder lamp as my major heat source... Not sure how I'd do humidity yet. Basically I'd love to hear more about your way of doing it, Bee, to see if I can draw any knowledge from you for my own project!

Hey, I'm the newbie now...I'm still wet behind the ears on incubating. That seems strange to me but it's the truth all the same...I've never incubated eggs without the use of a broody hen before.

Hey Bee!!! Great to see you on this thread!!! I just started mine recently as well...we can be newbies together!

Can you explain your simulated natural nest method or do you have a pic?
~Jes

Edited to add: Whoops I quoted before I read through the posts...gonna check out your thread now ;)

Yes! Newbies together! This is sort of fun!

I'll tell you why I never really wanted to incubate before...I almost did it some years ago, but then I saw my irresponsible sister playing with her incubator and killing scads of baby chickens, ducks and turkeys because she was too ignorant to read up on it and do it right. It really sickened me for incubation and I couldn't get my mind around it anymore. And some of the stories I read on BYC are much the same way...scary at how many chicks die, hatch deformed, hatch and then die, etc. I never see that in a broody hatch and I just couldn't see myself trying to grow a creature like that and possibly killing some baby bird from doing things wrong.

But...then the good Lord put this idea in my mind..it sure wasn't anything I came up with on my own, I tell ya. And when it came to me it just felt right and felt doable and so I got to feeling like it can be done. I'm praying I don't hurt any chicks in this experiment. I don't take it lightly and I don't think anyone should...it's not an Easy Bake oven and these are not play toys, but real baby animals. I had to do some praying on it before I could commit to it.

Back
Top Bottom