Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

Well, hatching is over on day 20. Three chicks came out quite nicely, each like 4 hours apart like clockwork.

The fourth was the chick with a saddle cell egg. The aircell was so badly detached that on day 18 when I candled, a good 8th of the egg had a membrane that would roll away from the wall of the egg as I rotated it. It ended up filling up most of it's space, leaving only a strange aircell along the tiniest but of the entire top half of the egg. Not so much of a cell but a "layer" of air. It quit shortly after pipping. I heard it pip and tried to bust it out when I realized it wasn't pipping externally or cheeping but it was too late. One fully developed chick, almost no blood in the membrane, gone. :(

So all in all 3/8 from this hatch. Honestly still more than I was expecting given the way they were shipped. :| Still lame. Excited for chicks, though!

Pictures pending. I have a really cool series of photos of the last chick hatching out by spinning around in it's shell over and over, complete circles, from pip to full hatch. It had a rough time of zipping... It took like 2 hours to zip, maybe three and it was quite laborious with lots of little chips compared to the other two chicks.

Last edited:
I have 54 duck eggs in a hova bator 1588 and 34 chicken eggs in a still air incubator, I also have an egg turner for the 1588 and would like to use it so I don't have to turn so many eggs.
But the egg turner only holds 41 eggs so I would have to put the extras in the still air Incubator.
Should I put the extra duck eggs in the still air incubator or would that mess them up since it is 2 degrees warmer than the 1588?

Back
Top Bottom