Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

106 is pretty high but I have heard about spikes like that where people still got some hatches. I've also read that some types take an extra few days, like Marans. Maybe give it another couple days?
Good luck!

I have had eggs survive spikes up to 116°F, but not a constant temp throughout incubation that is too high. 106°F over the entire incubation period is likely fatal. If anything, it would result in early hatch not late. If you have not candled, try candling to check for development & movement. The eggs that cracked can not be float tested. It will drown anny chick that may still be alive.

They are beautiful as Large Fowl, and I also love the Bantams. Very nice little broodys. Here's my girl. I made a welcome photo from her and her babies. :) She was always sweet when I came around. Salmon Faverolles are sweethearts. They do go broody often, even the LF. They aren't on the top of the list for laying, and the eggs aren't very large, but where they lack in laying, they make up for looks, and sweetness!
Absolutely exquisite!! :love

I recently made a fan for my still air incubator using a PC fan and a 5.8 volt AC/DC plug.
I put it in my incubator and it was working fine, but after about an hour I noticed that the plug was warm to the touch.
Is this something that I should be concerned about? I really don't wan't a housefire, but then again who does?
Is it normal for the plug to be warm?

Thanks

HI,
Had one more hatch for a total of 3...........
Day 24 today so not holding out hopes for more........
I became curious about how to count days to hatch so went to search.
Did not find any cut and dry answer...............just seems different folks do it differently............
and they hatch anyway..................
gig.gif

106 is pretty high but I have heard about spikes like that where people still got some hatches. I've also read that some types take an extra few days, like Marans. Maybe give it another couple days?
Good luck!

yes but I don't think that thermometer was accurate as the one next to it is reading 100 so I had been adjusting according to the 106 one that could explain my lack of hatching I think

I have had eggs survive spikes up to 116°F, but not a constant temp throughout incubation that is too high. 106°F over the entire incubation period is likely fatal. If anything, it would result in early hatch not late. If you have not candled, try candling to check for development & movement. The eggs that cracked can not be float tested. It will drown anny chick that may still be alive.
yeah I knew not to float test the cracked eggs I did see movement in one of the eggs prior to the incident. Most of the eggs are looking alot more developed compared to day 18 some are so dark that I can only see the clear area in the air cell area there have not been any internal pips I increased the humidity some but really thinking that I may have another horrible out come kind of getting burned out. I did not have a temperature spike but rather believe because I tested with multiple thermomters that I may have been having really bad readings initially from a faulty thermometer my luck has to change at some point right? Should I float test tonight or wait a couple more days? the last batch I had fully formed chicks with absorbed yolk sacks that died can I do an assisted hatch with out an internal pip?

yeah I knew not to float test the cracked eggs I did see movement in one of the eggs prior to the incident. Most of the eggs are looking alot more developed compared to day 18 some are so dark that I can only see the clear area in the air cell area there have not been any internal pips I increased the humidity some but really thinking that I may have another horrible out come kind of getting burned out. I did not have a temperature spike but rather believe because I tested with multiple thermomters that I may have been having really bad readings initially from a faulty thermometer my luck has to change at some point right? Should I float test tonight or wait a couple more days? the last batch I had fully formed chicks with absorbed yolk sacks that died can I do an assisted hatch with out an internal pip?

You can if blood has been absorbed from the membrane. You can use a large safety pin, sewing needle or very pointy knife tip to pip the shell at the air cell to check the membrane. Sally Sunshine has a link to instructions on assisted hatch in her signature. I would post the link, but can't copy/paste it from my cell.

Day 23 still nothing and I accidently dropped my flashlight on them while adding water yesterday so now I have a few eggs cracked grrr I went and bought more thermometers yesterday to see if I can figure out what the issue is and low and behold one of my old thermometers is reading 106 while the mercury thermometer is reading 100 degrees I believe I may have founf my hatching issue culprit. I just want baby fuzzy butts lol. So next question when do I start thinking about float testing?

Now.
smile.png

You can if blood has been absorbed from the membrane. You can use a large safety pin, sewing needle or very pointy knife tip to pip the shell at the air cell to check the membrane. Sally Sunshine has a link to instructions on assisted hatch in her signature. I would post the link, but can't copy/paste it from my cell.

Ok I think I will give it a shot with the egg I cracked accidently yesterday I am so bumed because it was for sure moving befor the accident.

Back
Top Bottom