Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

they've shipped from all over
I don't candle before I set them...just about a week after incubating
I have had very bad experiences also

Ok good to know my eggs from the week of 2/22 are showing great development despite their horrible detached rolling air cells. I have another set that I am going to put in tonight after 48 hours of resting I will give them another 48 hours with no turning and then I will start turning them I am planning on packing my bator to the max this weekend so I will not use a turner but instead be rotating the entire bator. Wish me luck I have to date never had a successful hatching home flock eggs or shipped eggs something has got to give soon.

Since you are having temperature issues anyway (IE-our pm discussion), it would be much better for you to roll each egg by hand 2-3 times per day than to tilt the entire bator. Those temp changes from top to bottom of egg we were discussing are magnified severely in a still air bator when you tilt it. Found this out the hard way. Temps on lower edge went down to 80°F while the upper eggs cooked at 120°F. I managed to salvage a few from the axis (center line of the tilt) that stayed in range since I had already tilted it several times before I realized what was happening.

Since you are having temperature issues anyway (IE-our pm discussion), it would be much better for you to roll each egg by hand 2-3 times per day than to tilt the entire bator. Those temp changes from top to bottom of egg we were discussing are magnified severely in a still air bator when you tilt it. Found this out the hard way. Temps on lower edge went down to 80°F while the upper eggs cooked at 120°F. I managed to salvage a few from the axis (center line of the tilt) that stayed in range since I had already tilted it several times before I realized what was happening.

Wow I am glad you told me that but could there be issues with the eggs with detached air cells laying on there sides maybe I need to just keep them in the turner. This is all so very complicated maybe I just need to get some broody hens lol or someone could whisper to my hens that they should give it a shot lol

Wow I am glad you told me that but could there be issues with the eggs with detached air cells laying on there sides maybe I need to just keep them in the turner. This is all so very complicated maybe I just need to get some broody hens lol or someone could whisper to my hens that they should give it a shot lol

For detached air cells you can place them upright in cartons & just tip the egg side to side or the carton side to side. I usually lay mine down & only turn them once per day for the first week.

Quote:
fl.gif

I can see darks spots in the air cell of my duck eggs and the air cell has shifted. Does this mean that there has been an internal pip?
Also, is it normal for ducks and chickens to pip a few days before the hatch? Even a day before lockdown?
Thanks.

I need to vent. I ordered a very small number of eggs from a reputable online breeder. I paid at the end of Jan and asked for Feb 25th shipping. His quick reply said that wasn't a problem. On the 25th he said didn't ship, was behind, would ship Saturday. He just emailed me and said he messed up and just boxed up and paid for mailing label to another person by accident, and would I mind waiting another week! Grrrrr

I did another candeling tonight out of the one batch of 23 eggs I had 6 clears and one definite blood ring so I am down to 18 out of that batch was sad to see the frizzle coachin was clear. Out of the 12 Rhodebars there was two clears the one was badly cracked so I was not surprised I also culled a couple of my BYM eggs I had set so I am at about 35 or so now.

Of the 8 eggs left under my nesting none are hatching so we are waiting until Sunday( my best friend's birthday) and putting fresh banty eggs under her. Have one huge egg that won't fit in an egg carton and going to let her sit on it to. Think it has to be a double yolk egg. By the end of this hatch I won't need any chickens this summer. Have 9 hens and rooster outside. Nine pullets and one rooster I think in the cage. No telling what the next hatch will bring just in time for my birthday, probably a good April Fool birthday present for me. LOL
celebrate.gif

Kathryn
lau.gif

I candled my eggs tonight and out of 43 there was 1 that had a blood ring in it and 5 that wasn't fertile and one I wasn't sure about so I stuck it back in there. Today is the 9th day. I could see them moving around in the eggs. I had to smile it was so stinkin' cute. Several I could see their little eyes. Anyway I took pix of the bad eggs so I could share with my nephew and see if I was right on them since this is my 1st time to hatch out chickens. I have RIR's and BA's and I am HOPING all the eggs are RIR's but not sure on that. The eggs are different colors of brown and I caught the RIR's coming off the nests several times so I saw their eggs. So I am hoping they're all RIR's. lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom