Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

Quote:
every once in a while mine says that too
wink.png
some day he might get his wish
idunno.gif

Quote: Ducks often pip internally day 25-27, pip externally 24 hrs later, begin to zip another 24 hrs later & you finally have a hatched baby by 3 days after internal pip. They like to take their sweet time. DO NOT TRY TO HELP EARLY!!!
http://www.minkhollow.ca/mhf/doku.php?id=farm:candling:day_25
here is a wonderful site about duck embryo development

don't get worried when it takes forever! you'll witness them hatching for 3 days at least...just keep it very humid...use wet blobs of paper towel and or sponges...you want the humidity really high if you can get it up to 80% that would be great. mine just hatched early at around 45% so don't worry if you have trouble raising it!
good luck! can't wait for ducky pictures
jumpy.gif

it cannot put the leg straight, and will not bear any weight on it at all

Exactly... It cannot bear any weight and can not stand, when I try and straiten the leg it screams....

I have a little girl that hatched with her back toes up under her foot...and due to walking funny (even though we tried booting her) she now has a splayed leg...she's eating and drinking...gets herself around so we just call her our special needs baby...she'll figure it all out. she's about 3 weeks old now

my little special needs girl is really withering this morning....so sad she fought so hard but her neck bone is really deformed too...I'll just keep her with me today so she feels safe...
I went out and found my little 6 week old frizzle dead...that breaks my heart DANG!!:hit

I just had to euthanize a chick I hatched a couple of days ago that couldn't stand. :hit Legs wouldn't bear any weight and one was way out to the side. I took her/him to the vet this morning because I've never had to cull before.. And he confirmed that it couldn't be fixed. I'm sad, but the quality of life of the chick couldn't be good even if I kept it as a pet. I'm sorry for all our recent losses on this thread... *hugs*

Quote:
I have a little girl that hatched with her back toes up under her foot...and due to walking funny (even though we tried booting her) she now has a splayed leg...she's eating and drinking...gets herself around so we just call her our special needs baby...she'll figure it all out. she's about 3 weeks old now

my little special needs girl is really withering this morning....so sad she fought so hard but her neck bone is really deformed too...I'll just keep her with me today so she feels safe...
I went out and found my little 6 week old frizzle dead...that breaks my heart DANG!!
hit.gif
I just had to euthanize a chick I hatched a couple of days ago that couldn't stand.
hit.gif
Legs wouldn't bear any weight and one was way out to the side. I took her/him to the vet this morning because I've never had to cull before.. And he confirmed that it couldn't be fixed. I'm sad, but the quality of life of the chick couldn't be good even if I kept it as a pet. I'm sorry for all our recent losses on this thread... *hugs*

it's tough....the rewards out weigh though...your a good chick mama
hugs.gif

One more hatched, but didn't make it. Will check them in the morning and see how they are doing. So far the ones in the house are doing great. Have found their wings and learning to groom themselves. So much fun to watch.
pop.gif

Kathryn

Back
Top Bottom