Janoel 24. INCUBATOR EXPERTS PLEASE

Hi, tgcanes!

How did your incubator work out? What was your hatchability like? I've got 2x Janoel 24 Incubators and it's the 2nd time that I've used them with great success. Or maybe I should say, this time around. Had problems with Electricity Black Outs last year. Quite a high hatchability rate this time, I thought. 1x died in the shell, unfortunately, whilst another had started to form but died off very early in the piece. The last one was born with a very bloated stomach and the skin on the tummy was extremely thin. I had assisted it's birth as I thought a day of pipping on and off was a bit too much for the little fellah. There was a little sac still attached so I did my best not to detach the cord from it's tummy whilst it dried out as it still might have needed the nutrients from it. But, the contents were mainy white, so, maybe it wasn't.... No. I think I'm right.

Unfortunately, the poor little Polish chick got trodden on by the other newly born chicks even though I had put up a dividing barrier to protect it from the others. So, the poor thing ended up with a slightly flattened tummy & what looked like two bags of nutrients that they live off for the first 24 hrs of their lives. Errr.... they weren't there before if you get my meaning! They certainly weren't any organs that I could see. Just bags of liquid. Poor little Polish chick. I did try mouth to mouth to resuscitate it but I could see that it was a "no-go." I've had a few problems trying to breed the Polish since I've had them. Last year, I only managed one survivor. A WC Splash Rooster.

Overall, 5x eggs were infertile so if I don't take those into consideration, and actually had 3x hatchings a wk apart from one another using the same incubator. (Took a bit of fiddling but I managed to work it out. (Just manually turned the eggs 3x a day that still needed to be turned for a few days) Let's see .... 6 from the 1st two hatchings & 9 from the third. 15x successful hatchlings out of 19 eggs. One last Silkie egg hasn't started to pip yet so I've left it in the incubator for now. It's due today so I've gotta wait and see yet. Anyway, most of these are Silkies, 3x Polish & 1x Silkie/Pol-X (Accidental! Ooh! but soo gorgeous! Steely Grey all over. No White Crest like her sneaky Father! Her? You ask? Well, one can only hope!)

Sorry, I didn't see your post sooner, tgcanes! As I would have said that all you need to do is:
a) allow the incubator to maintain the temperature at 38 degrees Celsius all the way through especially if you get confused how to adjust the temperature;
b) Ensure you fill one water channel with 150mls x water every day around the same time of day if you can;
c) On the 18th day, disconnect the turning rod and,
d) also on the 18th day, fill both water channels with 150mls each for the last 4x days and whilst the chicks are still waiting for their companions to finish hatching.

As regards that vent hole, I thought that it was the other way around and opened it during the final days! As you say, the instructions are certainly not clear especially regards that point! I think the only way that we'll know for sure is to ask the company itself. I'll find out where to send the query to and send off an email to find out for sure. I'll get back to you and post the info here. Hopefully, it'll be a help to someone else with similar concerns.

Happy cluckin'!
ChickyChooky :)
@ChickyChooky have you been able to find that information?

Hi. I am new to the Janoel 24 incubator. Could someone please help me with the setting up? Specifically the auto turning. I don't understand what the instructions are saying about a rod. Thanks Andrea

Look up at the underneath side of cover. The rod sticking down needs to be settled inside the open groove of the turning tray. As the rod slowly moves it rocks the eggs back and forth gently but very slowly just slide the tray under it so it's lined up to fit..

I am thrilled to find this forum! I am considering buying a used Janoel 24 (don't know why they are selling it yet, but I WILL ask!) that was used only once. It is only $60, so I'm a bit skeptical. I'm thinking that perhaps they just didn't figure out the poor instructions and didn't know about BYC. It will be interesting working through this and I can't wait to try my first hatch (BCM and next Spring, Bieldefelders)!

My daughter lives in town so she is not allowed to keep a rooster. She has found and given to me a second-hand Janoel-24. I am having all the same problems working out what the instructions mean. I'm about to start 12 eggs today.

Does anyone know how accurate the temp control/readout is on the Janoel 24 egg incubator. I have two but my thermostat, which is also new, is saying that they are reading 2 degrees out. Has anyone else had this problem

Does anyone know how accurate the temp control/readout is on the Janoel 24 egg incubator. I have two but my thermostat, which is also new, is saying that they are reading 2 degrees out. Has anyone else had this problem

Hi, everyone who joined this post! I'm so sorry! I didn't realise that so many people had posted! December being Xmas time more or less was extremely busy for me (as it must've been for everyone) so I had to just work things out the best I could on my own. Looking at these posts and when they were posted, you, all were having similar problems. Hopefully, you've all worked out your problems with your incubators but just in case you haven't or for those who are just now looking for answers, here's what I found out.

Yes! Sandstock! You won't be the only one who has had this problem!

a) Just because you have an automatic and/or digital incubator, don't trust the temperature or the humidity levels. Keep a temperature gauge that has a humidity gauge as well (or separately) inside the incubator on top or beside the eggs so that you can see if the incubator is working properly. (which is what "good thinking Sandstock" also did) e.g. I keep two of these gauges inside the centre of the incubator to ensure that if they are both showing the correct levels then I know that the temperature levels and humidity gauges are correct. I updated my Janoel 24 to something bigger and different as one of the two Janoel 24s broke down. The person I purchased it from will not answer any of my emails (Grrr! So much for the guarantee! Something which I do need to follow up on and will have to report to eBay.). I don't know what brand this new one is but it has a yellow cover, and semi-clear bottom with digital temperature control, a day counter and a counter that tells you when it is due to turn (or rock sideways in this case) which is every 2 hrs. I thought that this was fantastic but have just found that the temperature inside was not correct due to the loose temperature and humidity gauges I placed inside. I've now reset the digital temperature to 39 degrees celsius which sets the temperature inside to 37.5 to 38 degrees inside. This 48egg model carries the eggs in yellow cradles (place eggs point down)

I've only just started using two temperature & humidity gauges inside as I didn't expect to have a problem with such a fancy digital machine. Folks, remember this: Anything can break down, no matter how fancy or terrific it may look like. Therefore, you always need to have something to use to "double-check" and "double-check!"

Quote:
Hi, Angie66 & Grace!

I don't know whether you have already found out answers to your questions or not because it was some time ago that these posts were made (My apologies for not realising that people had posted as well on the subject. December is busy time for most people! My feeble excuse!
hmm.png
), so you probably have found out by now, but here goes for those newbies who wish to know:

Oh! Please note, these notes are for my new Yellow 48 egg digital machine but I will post how to use the Janoel 24 machine as well. It will be very similar anyway other than some of the more automatic features in my Yellow one.

a) Yes. The Humidity is controlled by the amount of water you put in. Humidity is best to be kept around 45% during Days 1 - 17. On the 18th day, you increase the water to increase the humidity level to 65%. The chick starts to breath from the air sack during the later stages before the 18th day (not sure which day though) so it's best not to have the moisture any higher during those first 17 days otherwise the chick may drown from too much moisture getting through the porous shell. The reason that the moisture is increased during those last 4 days is to make it easier for the chick to peck it's way out of the shell otherwise the shell can be too hard for it to do so. One of the reasons that a chick may die in the shell but, please note, there are many other reasons that may not have anything to do with how you looked after the egg. It may just be that something went wrong with it inside the chick during the forming/growing process. If you find the humidity level gets too high between Days 1 - 17, the only way you can reduce the humidity is to remove some of the water. I use the water bottle that is usually supplied with the incubator and just squeeze it first before syringing the water out. If you don't have one, you can also use a syringe for this. You can use something like an old cleaned out cat worming syringe if you have cats or probably get one from the chemist.

I discovered that it only takes a little water to increase the humidity to the level required. I discovered that the outside water channels in my Yellow machine causes water marks on my cupboard so I don't use the side channels around the perimeter any more but I do have to open the lid to squirt the water in or suck it out rather than the side hole. But, the incubator is working better for me this way plus it's not damaging my cupboard any more! Yes. I did report it to the manufacturers. So, my method is (with my new yellow machine), 5-6 squirts with the water bottle straight into the centre of the inside unit. Close the lid and check the progress of the humidity level in about 10 mins. Then, you can choose to leave it, remove some or add some more water depending on what the humidity level is.

Why is there a HU (Humidity) setting? You or the manufacturer sets the Humidity at the required level which is usually set for the first 17 days i.e. 45%. Most incubators nowadays have an alarm which sounds if it goes above or below the set Temperature or Humidity Levels. Then, you can adjust the levels accordingly. With my Yellow Incubator, the alarm will sound for a few moments, then, it will stop as the digital computer will stop the heating process thus reducing the temperature. So, you don't have to do anything there. But, if the Yellow Incubator is consistently sounding an alarm, you can bet the Humidity Level is incorrect and needs to be corrected by yourself.

With the Yellow Incubator, the eggs have to be stopped from moving on Day 18, so you disconnect the cream connections between the wires that are connected from the lid to the plastic yellow cradles. This stops the cradled eggs from moving.

With the Janoel 24,

There is a rod attached to a wheel fixed to the lid so that when the lid is closed, it is suppose to insert into the slotted area available for this purpose i.e. as the rod turns in the wheel it moves and slides the tray backwards and forwards making the eggs roll gently from side to side. You have to be careful with this as it can easily miss the slot so you need to check that the rod is inside the slot after you have closed the lid through the clear side of the unit. Then, on Day 18, besides adding the extra water, you need to remove the tray so that the eggs are no longer rotated enabling the chick to more readily adjust itself into a more secure and comfortable position ready for "pipping". But, I find I need to still use the dividers to hold the eggs into position, so what I do is just open the lid and turn the lid around so that the rod is on the opposite side which prevents the tray from being able to move.

As regards, the little hole in the lid, I'm not entirely sure about this as I've had some people say one thing and other people say another. This is the way that I put it together:

I'm presuming that if I close the little hole in the lid, it will keep the temperature and the humidity a little higher, therefore, I've been keeping it open during Day 1-17 and closing it during Day 18 - 21. If anyone disagrees with this, please let us know on this post and give us the reason why it is the opposite to what I've been doing. Thank you.
smile.png

If I've missed any other questions regarding this, just let me know and I will answer if I have the answers!
old.gif
lau.gif

I hope this is a help to everyone who is new to all this. Maybe you won't have to make the same mistakes that I've made.... the hard way! Lol!
roll.png

Cluckin' & Chucklin' Away!
Best Wishes,

ChickyChooky
jumpy.gif
D.gif
caf.gif
old.gif

I've just noticed that this is a "Duck" section so the Incubation Days will be different as I only have chickens!
th.gif

I was responding to a post that I had made end of last year with similar question myself, not sure how I ended up here (?!) but I'm sure it will be very similar to incubating ducks.

frow.gif

Cluckin' & Chucklin' Away!
ChickyChooky
duc.gif

Does anyone own a Janoel 24 incubator. I am new to hatching, and the instructions they gave me were shocking.

What im wanting to know is: Why is there a HU setting for the humidity if the humidity is controled by the amount of water? or is the Humidity controlled by that setting with the water?

Also, There is a little hole on top of the incubator that i can close and open. should i close this or leave it open?

I may ask more questions as this thread gets answered (if it does :) )

Should I keep my incubator at factory settings? Alow the water to determine humidity?

I have used this incubator a couple of times and getting about 50% hatch with factory settings. I have checked the temperature and it looks to be low a couple of degrees. I am going to use a digital thermometer, (I have two digital thermometers and they match) to adjust the temperature of the Janoel 24 to the digital thermometer for my next hatch, starting today.

Back
Top Bottom