Janoel Incubation Experience

You may want to grow your males out and keep the best looking. I would wait until at least 8 months to choose. I have made the mistake of culling early and growing them out has been much better! Please do share. I bought two chicks and was lucky enough to get a boy and girl!!!!!

I want to hear about your Brinsea experience. i think I am headed for a cabinet GQF and I will hatch in my Janoel. I may even get a few more!

Just quick update:

We are putting up a 100' greenhouse in the midfield with rotating padlocks for our egg business. I continue to breed olive eggers and can't wait to get my layers away from my Orpingtons.

Once separated I will have 6 breeding pens and a dedicated chick house for hatching with 5 5'x5' heated chick areas for babies and 3 transitional pens that allow adults to see chicks! So excited as I now have 13 colors of orpingtons. My chocolate pen is the biggest boasting 16 females. I am growing out 3 new males and will cull in Feb.

NPIP status in the works, website in process, and I can't make enough chicks fast enough for the locals. Can't wait for my current pullets to start laying and get up to usable egg size.

Harvesting peppers for fermentation barrels. We sold out of last years sauce last month and we are ready to make out new scorpion pepper sauce this year giving us 4 strengths.

Apples are coming in and we have enjoyed our Fabio Leonardi commercial food mill that does 300 gallons an hour. Apple butter galore getting bottled and to the shelves by mid November.

Our herbal tincture business is getting off the ground. As if I need another leg on our farm stool....

Commercial Kitchen half way completed...want it DONE!

I have slowed on incubation but I am still hatching at least once a month. My Janoel continues to run good. I find it is the easiest of all my incubators. I use it strictly for incubating and have quit hatching in it to avoid burning out the fan with dander.

How's everybody? What's up in your worlds? Still waiting for commentary on the brinsea. I want pictures of Lavender Orpingtons. Let me know how all of you are!

Wow, sounds like you have things going great! Congrats. Would love to see your setup!

Ok, my lav orps are growing up... but still free-loading with no eggs yet. 26 weeks. Luckily I am still getting great production from my 8 golden comets, my 2 silkies, and my duck.

I promised you LO pics, so here are a few.

Here's Louie. I still have 2 of the roosters, gave one to my sister-in-law.

This is the black split one Onyx

And here is one of the pretty girls.

I hatched some bantams in September. I have 7 golden sebrights, 3 silver duckwing OEGBs, 1 black tail buff Japanese and one mixed (Silver Sebright x Modern game... interesting looking little cockerel)

(I actually hatched 1 more GS, 4 more BTBJ's and 1 more SD, but they died in a freak thing, the first weekend after hatch, I was gone for the weekend, and my brooder bulb burned out and they trampled those 6)

Is the janoel a good brand. Seriously considering

It has its good and bad points, like any incubator. If you scan through this thread, you can find "fixes" for some of its shortcomings. I had the Chinese knockoff, so beware that there are knockoffs out there. They work too, but again, they all have ups and downs. I ended up finding a Brinsea barely used on CL and I love it! All depends how much you want to spend, and how much or how little you can monitor it.

Wow, sounds like you have things going great! Congrats. Would love to see your setup! Ok, my lav orps are growing up... but still free-loading with no eggs yet. 26 weeks. Luckily I am still getting great production from my 8 golden comets, my 2 silkies, and my duck. I promised you LO pics, so here are a few. Here's Louie. I still have 2 of the roosters, gave one to my sister-in-law. This is the black split one Onyx And here is one of the pretty girls. I hatched some bantams in September. I have 7 golden sebrights, 3 silver duckwing OEGBs, 1 black tail buff Japanese and one mixed (Silver Sebright x Modern game... interesting looking little cockerel) (I actually hatched 1 more GS, 4 more BTBJ's and 1 more SD, but they died in a freak thing, the first weekend after hatch, I was gone for the weekend, and my brooder bulb burned out and they trampled those 6)
All very cute! -Kathy

Quote:
I have a real Janoel. Origianlly I thought is was having trouble maintaining temp. I now feel that was simply fussing toooo much. I think it is a great deal for the price. I love the fact that the floor is solid hard plastic. I have a Hovabator with a wire floor and it is rusting and difficult to clean. Also, it is a little warped. the Janoel is all plastic and this is a plus. My styro-foam bators stink. No matter how I clean them they obviously have bacteria in them. The Janoel has a ceiling on it. I NEVER burn myself like I do on the Hovabator heating element. The turner in the Janoel plugs into the Janoel so I only need one plug, unlike my Hovabator that needs one plug for the turner and one for the bator. The plug on the Janoel is really sturdy. I recommend reading the thread and gleaning from everyone here. We have all hatched multiple times in ours.

I have pretty good luck with my Janoel hatching chicken eggs and quacking duck eggs, but had a really hard time with Muscovy eggs and peafowl eggs.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom