January 2016 Hatch-Come Join Me

Hello everyone! I set a few eggs on the 31st. My only hens laying right now are my Red Rangers and Jungle Fowl and my roosters include a Naked Neck, Barred Rock, Easter Egger and Sebright/Thai mix. The Easter Egger is my dominant rooster. I set the eggs in a DIY incubator made up out of a Kritter Keeper, Reptile heating pad, aluminum foil and covered with a thick sweater. Temperature fluctuates between 95.5 and 101.8. Most eggs have the "blood island" thing going on but the eggs closest to the heating pad have very faint veins!
wee.gif

I just candled day 8. There's a ton of development. I can't believe it. And it's crazy with leghorns how much you can see (vs. last hatches have been Marans). And it actually really helps to see what to look for in the darker eggs with the white eggs as reference. I can't see anything in the green eggs.The air cell might be a little small I'm running about 40% humidity. It seems that running dry is like 20% and the tiniest amount in one small reservoir jumps it to 40%. So we'll see. But so far I see 32 out of 36 eggs developing I hope. And the leghorns I can see actual chicks moving!

I just put them in the bator today! I have been doing more reading and I might not wait 7 days to start turning. What do you all think?
Melinda

Welcome!Are you waiting that long because they're shipped and have detatched air cells? There's some info on the hatching 101 on the learning center on here (sorry I don't know to link) but I know it's super important to roll the eggs. I had some detatched air cells in my Whole Foods eggs and I turned like 3 days later and I doubt that's the cause but I had a terrible hatch rate. I personally would roll them sooner than 7 days into the hatch but others might have other ideas.

Well today was day 9 so I went ahead and candled mine.

Set: 46
Non fertile: 9
Eggs left: 37

So it is looking pretty good.

On the shipped egg thing and letting them set before turning. I read to wait 24 hours before turning them but might not hurt to wait a bit longer but 7 days may be too long. The eggs have a tendency to stick to the inside if the shell.

Well today was day 9 so I went ahead and candled mine.

Set: 46
Non fertile: 9
Eggs left: 37

So it is looking pretty good.

On the shipped egg thing and letting them set before turning. I read to wait 24 hours before turning them but might not hurt to wait a bit longer but 7 days may be too long. The eggs have a tendency to stick to the inside if the shell.

Yay! We must be doing something right
1f600.png

I'm a little late posting. I started 11 black bantam Araucana eggs on Jan. 1st. I got a new incubator for Christmas but the temperature wouldn't stabilize. I have a Janoel8-48 that I thought was broken after I lent it to someone else. They were upset when I asked for it back and it wouldn't work. I then decided to check the settings and come to find out ALL of the settings had been reset! Lesson learned - do NOT lend out your incubator! At least now that it has been reset it is working perfect like it did last spring for me. Anyhow, it will be interesting to see if any will hatch.

Am down to 4. Yup, only 4 of 22 eggs set ( from the only 7 i have laying) are fertile.

I figure out the rooster is only mating when outside and they've been in the coop/run for two weeks most of the time due to severe winter weather.

Spring is coming. Spring is coming.....ugh

Well, candle on day three: Nothing visible in the incubator, or under the hen. Only being day three, I'm not going to chuck any eggs, I think I'll wait till day 7 or 10 to decide to toss or not.

Am down to 4. Yup, only 4 of 22 eggs set ( from the only 7 i have laying) are fertile.

I figure out the rooster is only mating when outside and they've been in the coop/run for two weeks most of the time due to severe winter weather.

Spring is coming. Spring is coming.....ugh

Ugh. I know how you feel, of about 13 only five of mine are developing. Hoping that spring brings us both better fertility rates!!

Back
Top Bottom