January 2020 Hatch along

This chick has crazy colors. It's silver, brown, and cream. I love it!

IMG_20200127_145242~2.jpg

Do you know what diseases can be passed from an egg to a chick?

My husband is worried that since these two came from different farms that maybe there's a disease involved. I want to help him understand, but I am not sure if there is any type of disease that can be spread.

He's just afraid of losing all the chicks
I'm afraid I don't.. But I wouldn't panic or worry too much about disease? It could honestly have been chance. Then again I'm not too knowledgeable on diseases like that.

You guys my silver sebright mated with my girls :celebrate only good part about this hatch. His chicks are grey and white, I know Squatch doesn't make grey or silver chicks with white. I have bred him with all my girls! Now that HeiHei is here I can get some awesome looking chicks!!!!

Do you know what diseases can be passed from an egg to a chick?

My husband is worried that since these two came from different farms that maybe there's a disease involved. I want to help him understand, but I am not sure if there is any type of disease that can be spread.

He's just afraid of losing all the chicks
This article may be helpful. But, since there don't appear to be other symptoms (right?), it seems reasonable that the issues may be genetic (even anomalies) in nature or due to other non-disease causes. This thread discusses a chick hatched with a bulging eye that looks similar to yours.

I know it's anxiety-inducing to have chicks hatch with unusual issues, but it can be very difficult to pinpoint the cause(s) when they're from someone else's stock. In the above-referenced article, for example, vitamin E deficiency listed as a potential cause of eye development problems...but you don't necessarily know how others feed their breeders. Too small a gene pool is also something I might suspect, but, again, it would be difficult to verify if that's the case. Without a pattern (more than one hatch from each source with the same issues seen), I think it could be considered unusual but within the realm of probability; even with healthy, genetically-diverse stock, strange things can still happen.

Hang in there! :hugs

This article may be helpful. But, since there don't appear to be other symptoms (right?), it seems reasonable that the issues may be genetic (even anomalies) in nature or due to other non-disease causes. This thread discusses a chick hatched with a bulging eye that looks similar to yours.

I know it's anxiety-inducing to have chicks hatch with unusual issues, but it can be very difficult to pinpoint the cause(s) when they're from someone else's stock. In the above-referenced article, for example, vitamin E deficiency listed as a potential cause of eye development problems...but you don't necessarily know how others feed their breeders. Too small a gene pool is also something I might suspect, but, again, it would be difficult to verify if that's the case. Without a pattern (more than one hatch from each source with the same issues seen), I think it could be considered unusual but within the realm of probability; even with healthy, genetically-diverse stock, strange things can still happen.

Hang in there! :hugs
Clops eyelids are actually fixing themselves as odd as that seems! She is having an easier time opening up her eyes and it doesn't seem to really affect her at all.

I'm hoping that it is definitely a pullet because I want to keep her

Back
Top Bottom