January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

What are Aloha?

A dual purpose breed developed here in Arizona to take the extrema heat of the Phoenix summers. the breeds originator has been working hard to get the breed into the hands of breeders so she can get them accepted to the APA. They lay a large cream to light brown/tan egg and are very colorful. I raise the confetti Aloha.

a couple of pics

20201117_155642_HDR.jpg

20201117_160046.jpg

10 week olds

20200530_095929_HDR.jpg

I’m in! Yesterday I set 7 silkie eggs and 4 from my mixed LF coop. I’m not overly hopeful on the Silkies, my cockerel is 26 weeks and I’m not 100% he’s doing his job, so that’s why I threw some of my other eggs in. It’s a good distraction from the freezing bleakness of winter!

Looks like I'm in too! I picked up some Trader Joe's fertile eggs. I got two cartons of the newest eggs they had. Still not very new at 11 and 18 days old but I felt it was worth a shot. I'll set them this evening. If there is development tomorrow I'll add some mixed breed brown egg layers (top 10 in the picture) selected for a nice bloom or speckles.

I'm also planning an end of January or February hatch. That'll be fancier shipped eggs and will be it for the year.

IMG_20201229_130442431.jpg

Looks like I'm in too! I picked up some Trader Joe's fertile eggs. I got two cartons of the newest eggs they had. Still not very new at 11 and 18 days old but I felt it was worth a shot. I'll set them this evening. If there is development tomorrow I'll add some mixed breed brown egg layers (top 10 in the picture) selected for a nice bloom or speckles.

I'm also planning an end of January or February hatch. That'll be fancier shipped eggs and will be it for the year.

I can’t wait to see what happens!

I got my eggs in the incubator this morning but I am a little concerned how the eggs looked with candling. One is kind of watery, like I've seen when a fridge eggs gets frozen just enough to mess with whites but not crack. A couple have kind of irregular edges to the air space. So I'm pretty sure they got more than a little chilled, but I'm still hoping it wasn't enough to stop a few chicks from developing and hatching.
20201229_070918.jpg
20201229_070927.jpg
20201229_071029.jpg

I guess this what I get for ordering eggs so close to holiday rush. Might get a few more fertilized eggs in later, just in case this batch is already set to be a flop.

I got my eggs in the incubator this morning but I am a little concerned how the eggs looked with candling. One is kind of watery, like I've seen when a fridge eggs gets frozen just enough to mess with whites but not crack. A couple have kind of irregular edges to the air space. So I'm pretty sure they got more than a little chilled, but I'm still hoping it wasn't enough to stop a few chicks from developing and hatching.
View attachment 2467971
View attachment 2467972
View attachment 2467973

I guess this what I get for ordering eggs so close to holiday rush. Might get a few more fertilized eggs in later, just in case this batch is already set to be a flop.
You did the right things setting them all. Some times they surprise you. I've had bad luck with any eggs that look less viscous (more liquidy) than an egg should be. I think they had no development but there might have been an early quitter I'm there somewhere. I definitely haven't had one hatch yet but I hope yours is the one to prove me wrong.

I set 6 eggs back in Dec 22 and I set 6 more yesterday Dec 28

I had some eggs for the NYD-HAL but got out of the running when all mine were duds. So now I qualify for January HAL with these eggs. All 12 are barnyard mixes.
Hooray for barnyard mixes! It's always so much fun to see what you end up with.

Back
Top Bottom