January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I’m not sure if he’s going to get any chicks from my wyandottes or australorps. I only got 10 eggs today and I have 14 that should be laying right now. Pretty sure my australorps are on their winter break and the wyandottes might have too. Though, the wyandottes are a recent addition and the stress of new surroundings might have stopped their laying for now. I definitely have a lack of light brown eggs.
judging by how LUNATIC my new mom is acting, I suspect shes either 3/4 or 7/8 American game

judging by how LUNATIC my new mom is acting, I suspect shes either 3/4 or 7/8 American game
I had one of my pullets go broody in November ( well, all of my hens are still pullets ) and she’s still raising the chicks. Doesn’t like me messing with her, but will still let me do it without running away or anything. However, if one of the lower hens on the pecking order so much as looks in her general direction? She’s flipping her shit lol. She’ll kick at them and jump around like someone just flipped the “broody attack mode” setting on her. She also hates my ameraucana roo, Maude. He’s the absolute lowest rooster. She’s actually chased him up on the roost and then pulled him off of it because he didn’t go up high enough. She’s a barred rock

I had one of my pullets go broody in November ( well, all of my hens are still pullets ) and she’s still raising the chicks. Doesn’t like me messing with her, but will still let me do it without running away or anything. However, if one of the lower hens on the pecking order so much as looks in her general direction? She’s flipping her shit lol. She’ll kick at them and jump around like someone just flipped the “broody attack mode” setting on her. She also hates my ameraucana roo, Maude. He’s the absolute lowest rooster. She’s actually chased him up on the roost and then pulled him off of it because he didn’t go up high enough. She’s a barred rock
she goes nuts hahaha

Tiny bit of good news for my holiday delayed eggs. While it's still too early to tell for 6 of the eggs, one (labelled BOB) definitely has development and I could see the tiny flicker of a heartbeat.
20210101_071634.jpg
Slightly darker area next to the air cell is where the activity is. There's a darker thing floating around near the bottom that looks like it's a normal blood spot.

I did order another set of hatching eggs to improve my chances of getting the intended level of chicken math, but those are supposed to be shipped mid-month (unless I'm lucky and get offered chance to have them sooner).

Well, day 4, I’m down to 1 egg. I knew this Silkies were a huge stretch, but only 2 out of my 4 LF I set started developing. It looks like 1 of those 2 quit sometime yesterday. I’m pretty surprised about my LF eggs, all eggs that have been for eating have been clearly fertilized. Ugh, I don’t want a single chick, but I also want to see what it’ll look like, and I would feel terrible pitching a developing egg. What to do...

Well, day 4, I’m down to 1 egg. I knew this Silkies were a huge stretch, but only 2 out of my 4 LF I set started developing. It looks like 1 of those 2 quit sometime yesterday. I’m pretty surprised about my LF eggs, all eggs that have been for eating have been clearly fertilized. Ugh, I don’t want a single chick, but I also want to see what it’ll look like, and I would feel terrible pitching a developing egg. What to do...
Add more eggs!

Back
Top Bottom