January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I think I’ll hop on in!
I have eggs due to hatch January 19.
I started off with nearly 30 eggs, but a power outage on day 5 left me with only three good eggs. I also have a second incubator with 8 eggs that I set a few days ago.
The three musketeers who somehow survived the 4 hours of cold are modern game bantams, all from the same pair. I’m very excited for any babies from this hen, who was my champion exhibition pullet last year. She’s my precious baby:love

Here’s the pair (the cock still needs dubbed I just haven’t had time yet). The babies could be brown red, lemon blue, dark faced, light faced, oh the possibilities!!

(all my pictures are always in dirty pens, I swear I clean them! :plbb)
2DA71EE0-D5DB-439E-A4A5-A7441760251B.jpeg 85E5DF3C-884C-4A64-A2AF-1E0E0F76DD1D.jpeg D59CADDD-D0FA-477F-A141-4E1E95A66822.jpeg FBCE3D58-3823-4BD8-91D2-05F0C94C69FC.jpeg

I think I’ll hop on in!
I have eggs due to hatch January 19.
I started off with nearly 30 eggs, but a power outage on day 5 left me with only three good eggs. I also have a second incubator with 8 eggs that I set a few days ago.
The three musketeers who somehow survived the 4 hours of cold are modern game bantams, all from the same pair. I’m very excited for any babies from this hen, who was my champion exhibition pullet last year. She’s my precious baby:love

Here’s the pair (the cock still needs dubbed I just haven’t had time yet). The babies could be brown red, lemon blue, dark faced, light faced, oh the possibilities!!

(all my pictures are always in dirty pens, I swear I clean them! :plbb)
View attachment 2489103View attachment 2489104View attachment 2489105View attachment 2489106
Wow, stunning birds! That's interesting their eggs are the ones that survived. Good genetics. What day are your three musketeers on?

Well the last remaining Trade Joe's egg isn't looking very good. It's day 16 and has simply not developed properly. Especially when compared to the local eggs set a day later. I'll leave it in till it quits or hatches but prognosis is poor.

On the opposite end of the update spectrum. One of the GBear farm eggs with the fully detached air cells seems to be developing!!! :eek: I've never had an egg with fully detached, rolling, air cell develop at all. Let alone hatch. But that's exactly what appears to be happening.

There were two of these fully detached air cell eggs in the shipment. In a complete Hail Mary maneuver I put them in the corner of the incubator in cartons. They've intentionally been left alone in their corner. Aside from the occasional jostling when I turn the other eggs they've been untouched. I peeked today when I checked the TJ egg. My jaw dropped when I saw what I think I saw. The new plan is to very gently start rotating the egg by hand in it's carton. 1/4 rotation a few times a day. Since I don't know if the air cell reattached or what (only held it upright). Even if it did this egg is extremely fragile. The second egg show now growth. Anyone had anything this this? Please share any thoughts or experiences with fully detached, rolling, air cells.

I've added this picture to the HAL before but I'll include again. You can see the eggs I'm talking about in the right-hand corner.
IMG_20210113_153926260.jpg

20210114_112301.jpg

Phase one of my January hatch is complete. Out of 6 fertile eggs 4 in the brooder. One egg quit and the remaining chick I don't have a lot of hope for. It was in a cracked shell, malpositioned and due to a humidity dip wound up shrink wrapped. We'll see if it makes it to the brooder.

View attachment 2489497
Phase one of my January hatch is complete. Out of 6 fertile eggs 4 in the brooder. One egg quit and the remaining chick I don't have a lot of hope for. It was in a cracked shell, malpositioned and due to a humidity dip wound up shrink wrapped. We'll see if it makes it to the brooder.
Beautiful chicks! My daughter is hoping one of ours is a yellow one.

Sorry to hear about that 5th one. Are you letting nature take it's course or assisting it? That's always a tough call.

It's sitting in a cup absorbing it's yolk, I don't know why I did that because I thought it was dis before it pipped. If it doesn't improve I will likely cull.
Beautiful chicks! My daughter is hoping one of ours is a yellow one.

Sorry to hear about that 5th one. Are you letting nature take it's course or assisting it? That's always a tough call.

Back
Top Bottom