January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Don't beat yourself over that one. I've been there too. It's terrible. :( Take it for the sad learning experience it was. I have a handful of embryos or chicks under my belt that met a tragic end due to my helpfulness, lack of helpfullness or over zealous purging. I'm happy to say I've never repeated a mistake. I prefer to make equally deadly and entirely new ones. :eek:
Thanks for the encouraging words. Much appreciated!

I've been doing regular candling still, but more briefly as I've had other stuff to do and didn't want to keep the developing eggs out for very long. Still have 3 eggs going, all with movement and appropriate lessening of visibility with candling.
Lockdown starts tomorrow.

I removed the completely non-viable eggs from the incubator yesterday as the EE eggs had signs of bacterial growth (slightly off scent and weird cloudiness with candling) and the one I cracked open certainly didn't look good. I did leave the egg that had developed some and I'm pretty sure died, but nonetheless didn't seem to pose a risk to the viable eggs.

I hope you get a hen swedish flower! I LOVE mine to death!
I'm hoping that label is correct and really hoping it's a pullet. :)

Are you going to do a hatch-a-long?
Not planning on making a separate thread for the eggs though I might make a thread for the chicks, especially because one egg is truly a mystery on what it's supposed to be.

I've been doing regular candling still, but more briefly as I've had other stuff to do and didn't want to keep the developing eggs out for very long. Still have 3 eggs going, all with movement and appropriate lessening of visibility with candling.
Lockdown starts tomorrow.

I removed the completely non-viable eggs from the incubator yesterday as the EE eggs had signs of bacterial growth (slightly off scent and weird cloudiness with candling) and the one I cracked open certainly didn't look good. I did leave the egg that had developed some and I'm pretty sure died, but nonetheless didn't seem to pose a risk to the viable eggs.

I'm hoping that label is correct and really hoping it's a pullet. :)

Not planning on making a separate thread for the eggs though I might make a thread for the chicks, especially because one egg is truly a mystery on what it's supposed to be.
That sounds like fun!

20210115_010021.jpg
last night

20210115_103659.jpg
this morning

pip to zip to hatch! pics taken from incubator viewer window so they're obviously not great but the egg is roughly in the middle of each frame
20210115_105828.jpg
20210115_112045.jpg
20210115_113708.jpg
20210115_114613.jpg

okay question: how long is it before chicks shouldnt be silly flippy floppy things? I think it's just still too young

okay question: how long is it before chicks shouldnt be silly flippy floppy things? I think it's just still too young
I'm assuming you mean where they flip themselves into their backs. Then flail there legs around. Mine have always sorted through that phase pretty quickly. Couple hours maybe.

Or do you mean where they walk really low and kind of scoot around? That lasts a bit longer but still not more than a day. By then they should be running around top speed and eating/drinking well.

Or do you mean where they walk really low and kind of scoot around? That lasts a bit longer but still not more than a day. By then they should be running around top speed and eating/drinking well.
that bit! thank you. your descriptions were great. I had a peachick with splayed legs so I'm like hyper focused on the low scooty behavior. the two who hatched yesterday are great. I suspect the one with the worst of it is from this afternoon so itll pass. :)

Back
Top Bottom