January 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
I had 2 batches of hatching eggs that were 2 weeks apart. I moved my day 18 eggs into one incubator, and left the others in for more weeks, but accidently left one egg. This egg got forgotten so it had no lockdown... no water added, hatched fine.
View attachment 3376425

With out adding water if I trusted my digital hydro- it would read about 26%, but with a dial hydro- it reads 50%
That’s wild- and proof that nature finds a way. All the internet guides make it look like your chicks will die in the shell if the temperature is off by 0.1 degree F or you allow humidity to drop for 10 seconds during hatching. It’s nice to see that life can be stubborn.

As a buddy told me, chickens have been reproducing for a lot longer than humans have been around, and they’ll find a way. Not that I’m going to press my luck, of course. Cleaning out the store room today to set up the brooder. 😁

Set up the “brooder” in our storeroom today. This room is part of the house, partly underground so ambient temps stay around 60F year round. My hope is the Brinsea brooder hood will be enough warmth for the chicks, but I do have a heat lamp if they need it. Otherwise I’ll use a regular lamp with a timer for day/night cycles.The storeroom has a concrete floor, so I used a couple of old cornhole boards to make a platform to get the kiddos up off the cold floor. The holes are not under the brooder.
E077082E-0A33-47E9-B37E-BB0E582F8629.jpeg

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Set up the “brooder” in our storeroom today. This room is part of the house, partly underground so ambient temps stay around 60F year round. My hope is the Brinsea brooder hood will be enough warmth for the chicks, but I do have a heat lamp if they need it. Otherwise I’ll use a regular lamp with a timer for day/night cycles.The storeroom has a concrete floor, so I used a couple of old cornhole boards to make a platform to get the kiddos up off the cold floor. The holes are not under the brooder.
View attachment 3377033
Thoughts?

While it’s not an octagon, the shape of your pen might encourage the chicks to fight a lot.
Aljamain Sterling Running GIF by UFC

My 8 month old EE rooster I have had for almost 2 weeks now, didn't fertilize the eggs I set. I still have a few days until my shipped eggs come. I have noticed he is braver, and I was able to open up the coop after 2 months since they were snowed in. They do have a light.
He is being Mr. polite, I guess.

My 8 month old EE rooster I have had for almost 2 weeks now, didn't fertilize the eggs I set. I still have a few days until my shipped eggs come. I have noticed he is braver, and I was able to open up the coop after 2 months since they were snowed in. They do have a light.
He is being Mr. polite, I guess.

I had over 1/3 clears in my set so I understand the frustration.

Back
Top Bottom