January 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Three more hatched overnight. We now have five healthy birds. The remaining 6 are getting kicked around like soccer balls on a playground! Two more have pipped that I can see. I’ll probably move chicks to the brooder tonight, if the pips hatch and no more have pipped.

I know they feed from the yolk sac, but how long can they go without water? Nobody’s showing signs of distress, so I’m keeping that lid shut for now.

938B3776-1C7A-485B-AF55-1755F7278017.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like 9 will be our final count. Two eggs have not hatched with the rest, and we aren’t seeing movement or pips on either one. Likely a couple of late quitters. Keeping them in the incubator for another day or two, just to see. The chicks are in the brooder now.

That’s a 70% hatch rate. Not bad for eggs shipped in January.

4F99F89D-17D4-40FB-9C23-B5A8F60919C5.jpeg

Looks like 9 will be our final count. Two eggs have not hatched with the rest, and we aren’t seeing movement or pips on either one. Likely a couple of late quitters. Keeping them in the incubator for another day or two, just to see. The chicks are in the brooder now.

That’s a 70% hatch rate. Not bad for eggs shipped in January.

View attachment 3387932
You did better than my 53% with eggs from my own hens. Of the ones that made it to lockdown, 8 didn’t hatch. Ima check them out today and see what’s in there.

Back
Top Bottom