Janus the d'Uccle .... Possible Chimera - male and female???

There are also mosaics, which are chimeras, except that the different-gened portions are scattered around instead of being a neat split. Neater chimeras aren't always half-and-half, either, it can be one limb, a few organs, or something like that.
There was a case awhile ago where an unfortunate lady nearly lost her kids because genetic testing revealed they weren't biologically hers. It turns out that her reproductive system has separate genes from the rest of her, she evidently absorbed a twin in the womb. That's how most chimeras are thought to happen.
:eek:

Genetics are fun, huh?
And there's no way to tell how many other people, let alone other animals, might be walking around with two sets of genes. Not without gene testing every inch of someone.
Look up "gynandromorph", there's lots of pics of gorgeous butterflies that are half male, half female. The phenomenon is most commonly noticed in butterflies because a lot of them can have big differences between the wings in the sexes. As opposed to, say, houseflies.
A gynandromorph lobster was found with eggs carried on its female half, and was taken to an aquarium. Only two eggs hatched, one male and one female.

You have me absolutely mindblown over here! :eek: I've never in my life seen anything so fascinating. :love Has Janus always been a little different, even from a young age?

I, too, am in possession of a chimera d'Uccle, but it sounds like mine would be mosaic in contrast with your incredibly unique half-and-half cutie. :)

~Alex

Iamfivewire and Candy had a rooster named "Two Tone", one of their first birds. I think there are pictures here somewhere; another amazingly odd one!
There are chimeras found in horses; there was a Quarter Horse colt in Michigan a few years ago with brindle striping; another example.
Mary
In mammals they are called Hermaphrodites. I got to see a foal born as one, watched it grow up and eventually get gelded.

A hermaphrodite is any animal which has both male and female reproductive organs, whether or not it's supposed to. Note that it is NOT appropriate to refer to humans that way if they have that particular anatomical quirk, the proper term is "intersex".
A chimeric animal that's part male and part female is a gynandromorph.
Both things tend to cause hormone issues if it's not normal for the species. Some will have one ovary and one testicle- not good!

Back
Top Bottom