Japanese Bantam Thread!

Yeah... This pic was taken last season. He molted out and now has Too much white for the show.
he.gif
I'm still using him and hopefully this year I can breed his offspring back to him. Mottled is a funny color to work with. I don't have any hatchery birds. even though every year I see them in the feed store, I resist!

Meet Jo. She's one of the Jap growers that hatched a couple of months ago from my pair of Silver:

I'm not going to sell her, since she's a lovely little thing. The colour was a complete surprise. But I was wondering if I should trio her with her parents (that sounds so weird) or buy a pair of Black-Tailed Whites (a friend of mine has some) and trio her with them instead.
Advice?

I think it depends on what your goal is fdavey. If you're trying to show, I would keep her as your pet and not breed her (She can give you very little Omelets. lol) If that is not the case you could breed her back to her father. It sounds weird, but we do it all the time. It's called "line breeding" I personally would not cross her to a Black Tail White, I think that would just compound your color problems and dirty up the color of the BTW. That's just my opinion

Last edited:
Good looking mottle animaladdict12. Its hard to tell the picture is kinda fuzzy and he's sitting weird. His type looks good. Next year he'll probably have more mottling and be a GREAT bird. My goal in my mottles is to have every back feather have a white tip and have no all white feathers. This is easyer said then done. All mottled birds get whiter with age. Its all about timing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom