Japanese Bantam Thread!

Where did you buy them?
Howdy Fluffers 2: I got them from Cackle Hatchery of Lebanon, MO. Closest Hatchery to me I could find. They all arrived in good shape. 3 Orpingtons came down with 'Sticky Butt'. Took a few days of washing with Q-tips to clear it up. One caught a bug, and was scurrying around with it, and I don't know if it hit its head, or swallowed the bug, but the little fellow keeled over suddenly and dropped dead. Never seen anything like that before. Another got droopy acting, so I separated it , but it never made it. They were Orpingtons too. The rest of them grew up doing very well.

Last edited:

Sam got frost bite.. Coop is dry, even put in a heat lamp, no drafts. Do you think he will okay for the fair in July , he's inside now ( I'm sur feathers will fly when my husband gets home and there are chickens in the bathroom) especially one that chatters and crows like he does.

Sam got frost bite.. Coop is dry, even put in a heat lamp, no drafts. Do you think he will okay for the fair in July , he's inside now ( I'm sur feathers will fly when my husband gets home and there are chickens in the bathroom) especially one that chatters and crows like he does.

Most likely his black tips will fall off, they do not grow back. I find heat lamps in coops does more harm than good. Heat and then the chickens breathing causes moisture. Last year I added a heatlamp to the bantam coop and all 3 roosters got frostbite, 2 lost the tips of the combs. This year I did not do a heat lamp and my 1 rooster I have in there has been just fine with no frostbite. I am against heat lamps in coops.

Last edited:
Thanks, poor guy he still acts his norm, but looks like heck.

Nah he looks fine. His frostbite isn't too bad. You should see my Cream Legbar rooster, he has severe frostbite on his comb we have had horrible temps this winter. He will lose all his tips and half his blade.

Your JB would be better off staying outside in the coop with the others. The temp changes from in the house and back to the coop aren't good for him. I personally don't think his comb is bad enough to be brought inside, but that is just me.

yikes! well, I will end up keeping them im sure....my roo from before everyone told me he had a long back...... I may end up selling that roo and keep the hens....the one with the ling legs is the roo. here is my boy: I have to get rid of some of my chicks anyway just so I don't have a roo overflow. once they are older I will find nice homes for them through byc for my local friends. my breeder had never accurately given me the correct eggs I ask for anyways....saying twice now eggs he gave me were silkies but are now japs....but ya know, life shall go on. I am making room for pure show birds this summer. by then, these chicks will be old enough to know whose good and whose not.
Your boy is very handsome. :)

Back
Top Bottom