Japanese Bantam Thread!

I just got some white black tailed japs and noticed 1 has a crooked tail is this going to be a problem? Is it genetics?
Very well could be. I doubt if it is anything physical.
I was going to swap one of my roos to fertilize some eggs for me, and as I was shutting him in the pen, he tried flying out, and I caught him by the tail as he flew past. All his flailing before I got him under control didn't hurt a thing. They have much stronger tails than I had previously thought.

Last edited:
The crooked tail is called Wry Tail. Yes, it is genetics and cannot be fixed. It won't affect him/her in any way unless you plan to use him/her for showing, then he/she will be disqualified.

Yup, catching chickens by the base of the tail is the best way to catch a chicken if you can't get your hands around the body and wings! Careful not to grab the ends of the feathers, or you could pull some out! :p (Speaking from past experience... XD)

I just got some white black tailed japs and noticed 1 has a crooked tail is this going to be a problem? Is it genetics?
It should not be a problem at all for the bird.

It might have come from an injury in the past... and when he moults into his next set of feathers it may straighten back up.

Its not always genetic. I got a beautiful Jap Rooster that was sold to be very cheap (and he is a rare colour). He was sold to be so cheap as his tail was really bent. He would hold it out at a right angle to his body.

The breeder told me that he would pass this genetic fault on to his offspring.

Well.. he didn't!!! He has been father to countless chicks over 4 years.. and only one got a crooked tail like his dad.

Breed him and see what happens.

It's true that the genetic trait may not show up in any chicks hatched from this particular chicken, but the fact is ~ this gene will be passed to each one, and eventually will crop out somewhere down the line.

Thanks she is one if my hens

Thanks she is one if my hens
if you were planning on showing her it wouldn't be a problem. a friend of mine had japs where their tails are wry. his birds are some of the top ones in our state.
this one has gotten high as well...saw it at the fair last year. don't know whose it is, but has a BIG tail!

Back
Top Bottom