Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
Quote:
I actually just bought a pair from her. Some gorgeous black motttled chickens! I will have to post a picture of them.

She has some nice stock, but if you notice in the ad, all the colors are mixed together right now. So you might get some pure colors and you might get some mixed. At least that is how it sounds from the ad. She had some other really pretty adults though for sale when I bought my pair, so you could go that route!

Here is my new hen, Midori
15wii9u.jpg

and her mate, Gojira!
v4x72x.jpg

Both have short short legs. I can't wait to try hatching some eggs from them.

I'm thinking of selling all my Japanese Bantams.... I'm really wanting to switch that coop completely over to the new Red Cochin Bantams I got. I have 4 Grey JB. 1 Roo, 2 hens and a 1 Pullet. You'll have to pardon them, they are molting.
barnie.gif

14084_garden-9-11-9.jpg

I already rehomed my Black Tailed White JB about 2 months ago. He was a pretty boy!

Last edited:
Quote:
OH i have.... they ship fast and they are nice eggs. If i had the money and it wasn't going to get cold here next month i would get them.
they have mixed pens of straight and frizzled japs.

this spring i hatched several black mottleds, a splash frizzle roo (which we sold this week cause my daughter just wants straight feathered japs), blue, splash mottled. and a black mottled thats mostly black. i think i have some more current picts from last week i can post.

i have some eggs from them in the incubator now. due to hatch on the 11th if shipping wasn't too hard on them.

ok heres some of them the btb are not from this seller but the rest are.

they were enjoying there time in the yard so were not posing but you can get the general idea

P1070776.jpg

P1070775.jpg

P1070772.jpg

one of my fav cockrels
P1070771.jpg

P1070770.jpg

P1070763.jpg

P1070762.jpg

Last edited:
so between rains when the pen dries out enough we let the japs go out side so here is the big girls and there roo
smile.png

bug hunting

P1070782.jpg

of course they are moulting and the roo wont sit and pose too busy chasing his girls

P1070783.jpg

P1070784.jpg

P1070786.jpg

P1070799.jpg

P1070801.jpg

they enjoyed searching for worms
P1070804.jpg

Great stuff in this thread -- and some beautiful birds! I just recently got started on chickens, and the flock I inherited after the recent hurricane consists of Japanese Bantams -- two hens, two roosters. Here they are:

105519_img_0286.jpg

Left to right in both photos: George, Tammy, Loretta, and Conway.

105519_img_0259.jpg

They're about three months old, so not laying yet. When they do begin to produce, what size eggs do Japanese Bantams lay? Is there a good rule of thumb for converting their size eggs to "normal" size eggs for recipe purposes?

Thanks,
George

I-Have-Happy-Hens im looking for barred to- at some point we would love to breed them. i got eggs from someone but the po was mean and none hatched.

gfletch its great you gave a home to some japs after the hurricane
smile.png
as for egg size- i would figure volume for baking or cooking. crack open a large egg in a small cup and then crack open 2-3 banty eggs until you get aprox volume. as for the eggs and laying. right now i have some 5month old hens and they have yet to lay. so i am thinking somewhere 6-8months.

here is a picture
black mottled jap egg, btb jap egg, and a RIR large-xl egg for reference
58775_p1070939.jpg

Back
Top Bottom