Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
big_smile.png

Got my first egg today! Came home from work to find it in the coop. So cool!!! Not sure which of my two Japanese Bantam hens laid it, but my money's on Loretta, as she's larger and seemingly more mature than Tammy. The egg is a pale brown, and about half the size of an Extra Large store-bought egg.

Here's the egg:
105519_img_0403.jpg

Here it is in comparison with the Extra Large eggs I bought at the supermarket last week:
105519_img_0407.jpg

I am so excited about the first egg!!!

Since I'm new to this whole thing, please chime in, other JB owners:

- Is this the normal color and size for eggs from this breed?

- What kind of producers are they? Should I expect an egg a day from each hen?

- Since they are just beginning to lay, should I switch from the Grower feed to the Layer feed, or finish out the bag of Grower (especially since not everyone is already laying)?

- Does it matter which feed the roosters are getting?

Thanks,
George

Quote:
CONGRATS ON THE FIRST EGG!

most of our jap eggs look just like that a cream color the mottled for some reason have a more white egg.
some of the japs lay an egg a day, some every other day, some will lay 12 in a row then take a break.
mine are laying a lot more now that its cooling off.

I would finish what your feeding them or mix with layer feed if you like. our roosters eat the layer feed.
I dont buy them anything special.

Did you check out any of those breeders I referred? Were any any good?
I have the list, but don't know any personally.
In fact, I gave out quite a few names today, I hope they pan out!

Quote:
x2
pop.gif

I will try my best to get one up tomarrow, I have one on my camera, but not trusting my computer I won't upload those until I buy another jump, but I will take one with my phone of her and her coin jar trophy and purple ribbon tomarrow, k?

Thanks for the info and the congrats! A second egg didn't appear today, so maybe they need a little time before it becomes a regular thing.

One other newbie question for the experts out there ... Do any of you have your JB's living in a coop with standard size birds, or is that just a terrible idea to mix the sizes? I was hoping to add a couple of standard size hens to the flock in order to get some "normal" sized eggs, too, but I'm not certain if it's the right thing to do. I don't want them fighting and picking on each other ...

Thanks again,
George

Back
Top Bottom