Japanese Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NakedNeck, Apr 28, 2009.

1. NakedNeck

NakedNeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    I am thinking about raising Japanese bantams. My question is, what birds would you breed in order to get "blue"? Thank you!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You could breed black and white together, that usually results in a blue looking coloring.

3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    No, unless it is splash.

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't think there are any 'blue' or 'splashed' colors in japanese. However, many people in my area do breed black and whites together of other breeds and get birds that look blue. I believe there may be some blue mottled japs though, if you had some of those, and bred those to black, you should get about 25% blue chicks.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I'm truly hoping that was a sarcastic comment, because it is highly incorrect.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I'm truly hoping that was a sarcastic comment, because it is highly incorrect.

Not at all, next time I go to the auction I'll take pics of some birds that the idiots in my area have bred white to black and gotten blue looking birds. [​IMG]

7. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:In the ABA Standard, which includes all the APA varieties as well, you will find 17 recognized varieties, including Black Tailed White, White, Bearded White, Black, Black Tailed Buff, Buff, Gray, Blue, Black Breasted Red, Brown Red, Mottled, Self Blue, Barred, Black Tailed Red, Wheaten, Silver Duckwing, and Silver Laced. Many of these varieties are rare to varying degrees, and Silver Laced may not exist in the U.S. at this time. Non-recognized varieties seen in the U.S. include Ginger Red, Lemon Blue, Silver Blue, Golden Duckwing, Blue Tailed White, Blue Tailed Buff, Blue Mottled, Blue Wheaten, Quail, and Crele.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:In the ABA Standard, which includes all the APA varieties as well, you will find 17 recognized varieties, including Black Tailed White, White, Bearded White, Black, Black Tailed Buff, Buff, Gray, Blue, Black Breasted Red, Brown Red, Mottled, Self Blue, Barred, Black Tailed Red, Wheaten, Silver Duckwing, and Silver Laced. Many of these varieties are rare to varying degrees, and Silver Laced may not exist in the U.S. at this time. Non-recognized varieties seen in the U.S. include Ginger Red, Lemon Blue, Silver Blue, Golden Duckwing, Blue Tailed White, Blue Tailed Buff, Blue Mottled, Blue Wheaten, Quail, and Crele.

Thanks for that, any idea where to find some? I don't think I have ever seen blue japs. [​IMG]

9. Poulets De Cajun

Haven't a clue... LOL Have you contacted the JBBA for a breeders list?

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:\\

Here ya go!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by