Japanese Bantams

NakedNeck

Songster
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
I am thinking about raising Japanese bantams. My question is, what birds would you breed in order to get "blue"? Thank you!

I don't think there are any 'blue' or 'splashed' colors in japanese. However, many people in my area do breed black and whites together of other breeds and get birds that look blue. I believe there may be some blue mottled japs though, if you had some of those, and bred those to black, you should get about 25% blue chicks.

Quote:
I'm truly hoping that was a sarcastic comment, because it is highly incorrect.

Not at all, next time I go to the auction I'll take pics of some birds that the idiots in my area have bred white to black and gotten blue looking birds.
smile.png

Quote:
In the ABA Standard, which includes all the APA varieties as well, you will find 17 recognized varieties, including Black Tailed White, White, Bearded White, Black, Black Tailed Buff, Buff, Gray, Blue, Black Breasted Red, Brown Red, Mottled, Self Blue, Barred, Black Tailed Red, Wheaten, Silver Duckwing, and Silver Laced. Many of these varieties are rare to varying degrees, and Silver Laced may not exist in the U.S. at this time. Non-recognized varieties seen in the U.S. include Ginger Red, Lemon Blue, Silver Blue, Golden Duckwing, Blue Tailed White, Blue Tailed Buff, Blue Mottled, Blue Wheaten, Quail, and Crele.

Last edited:
Quote:
In the ABA Standard, which includes all the APA varieties as well, you will find 17 recognized varieties, including Black Tailed White, White, Bearded White, Black, Black Tailed Buff, Buff, Gray, Blue, Black Breasted Red, Brown Red, Mottled, Self Blue, Barred, Black Tailed Red, Wheaten, Silver Duckwing, and Silver Laced. Many of these varieties are rare to varying degrees, and Silver Laced may not exist in the U.S. at this time. Non-recognized varieties seen in the U.S. include Ginger Red, Lemon Blue, Silver Blue, Golden Duckwing, Blue Tailed White, Blue Tailed Buff, Blue Mottled, Blue Wheaten, Quail, and Crele.

Thanks for that, any idea where to find some? I don't think I have ever seen blue japs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom