Japanese Coturnix Falb-Fee Discussion Thread

I don't think so. I think the Fee factor is a dilution factor, not removing specific colors. It just effects specific colors differently.

Why I think this? I crossed my Roux Dilute girls with a Pharaoh roo and received 100% Falb Fees.

So my Roux Dilute girls seems to have the Fee factor already. They are quite light, but still Roux.
View attachment 2331637
This was my breeding group.

This is the result of the cross the light colored one in the back.... the other two are Pharoah... do you think it’s a scarlet? I was told the cross of the range x faulb fee should produce scarlet fee hens and Grau fee roos. It’s def not grau fee
And does a scarlet hen have a speckled chest like this one has? I do have a scarlet chick from another hatch and it’s head is fully red but this ones is yellow... so not sure about the difference

Attachments

• 20769E5E-EC5A-4A4B-8529-79D4547344E3.jpeg
    20769E5E-EC5A-4A4B-8529-79D4547344E3.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 16
This is the result of the cross the light colored one in the back.... the other two are Pharoah... do you think it’s a scarlet? I was told the cross of the range x faulb fee should produce scarlet fee hens and Grau fee roos. It’s def not grau fee
And does a scarlet hen have a speckled chest like this one has? I do have a scarlet chick from another hatch and it’s head is fully red but this ones is yellow... so not sure about the difference
That looks like a wild pattern with the roux gene, which is an Egyptian. But the speckles on the chest look closer to a scarlet, which is the roux gene on a range pattern. The range patterns can be partially dominant, so if the bird carries the wild pattern gene, you will see lacing and barring bleed thru from the wild pattern influence sometimes. I’m not an expert but I think that’s what happened in your case. Even though the bird has a striped head and the cream lines on the back growing in, you may not be able to sex it based on the chest feathers. Which parent was scarlet or roux?

That looks like a wild pattern with the roux gene, which is an Egyptian. But the speckles on the chest look closer to a scarlet, which is the roux gene on a range pattern. The range patterns can be partially dominant, so if the bird carries the wild pattern gene, you will see lacing and barring bleed thru from the wild pattern influence sometimes. I’m not an expert but I think that’s what happened in your case. Even though the bird has a striped head and the cream lines on the back growing in, you may not be able to sex it based on the chest feathers. Which parent was scarlet or roux?

my roo is range and the hen is faulb fee. My faulb fee breed true if bred faulb to faulb so the fee gene is strong...

my roo is range and the hen is faulb fee. My faulb fee breed true if bred faulb to faulb so the fee gene is strong...

The way sex linked genes work is you need a male that is scarlet or Egyptian, and you breed it to a female that does not have the roux gene, so anything but scarlet or Egyptian. Your range roo may be the son of sex link’s, so he carries the gene but doesn’t show it. If you bred him to a non roux, all roux offspring will be female, but all females may not be roux.

For the fee gene I believe it is a simple dominant gene, so if it has the gene it will show it. I believe the effect is stronger if they carry 2 copies of the gene, meaning they are more diluted in color. If the bird has one copy, half the offspring will be fee, half will not. If they have 2 copies, all offspring will be fee.

This is a Falb fee hen correct?

Attachments

• EF4EC10D-B9F3-4CB7-A554-967505CD8B27.jpeg
    EF4EC10D-B9F3-4CB7-A554-967505CD8B27.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 410E09A7-871F-4E3E-B242-8E3ED53ED0D4.jpeg
    410E09A7-871F-4E3E-B242-8E3ED53ED0D4.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 3EFCA77A-172F-4103-8452-CEC027EA3FA7.jpeg
    3EFCA77A-172F-4103-8452-CEC027EA3FA7.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 31E1B4FE-2131-479D-BF49-3F9D52C75F39.jpeg