Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Varieties!!!!

Pics
Use the search and look up color calculator....or ask Moby Quail to come over and sit a spell...He has the patience to explain it better than me....

Let me tell you, I've got 12 different colors of coturnix, if you count the tuxedo variants too.

It may look wild type/Pharaoh...but with all the mix matching and mutt pens, you can have two Pharaohs and the recessive gene will show in the offspring. The questions to ask would be, "What makes an Italian?" "how about a pure gold" (no brown head) There are scarlet and reds with a Tibetan pattern not to be confused with the red dilute or roux that has the Pharaoh pattern...Tibetans, reds, and scarlet all have a tux-type counter part too. Not to mention the pure white English whites and the whites with color spots that some (incorrectly) call A&Ms...read about Dr. Thornberry and you'll see why I say incorrectly...

Colors are cool, and you can have fun with them...just test hatch from your pure pens to make sure the hatches are pure color and not hiding recessive genes, then start mixing colors to see what happens...when you like a color, try replicating until it will breed true. Italian to Italian will breed true...but a gold to gold won't...and you get a 30% mortality in the egg with them...but what happens when you put a white and a golden together? Hmmm

good luck and great thread!

So, here is the surprise out of my hatch- is it a Tibetan or a Rosetta? It is two and a half weeks old.

Last edited:
So, here is the surprise out of my hatch- is it a Tibetan or a Rosetta? It is two and a half weeks old.

Rosetta is what I would call it. It does not look very red so some may call it a Barred instead. Was it a beautiful chocolate color at hatch? The rosettas are. So yummy!.

Last edited:

One of my pearls :)

Back
Top Bottom