Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Varieties!!!!

Pics
This is all so interesting. Im really enjoying looking at the pics and learning about the genetic mixing of quail. Ive had chickens for years but Im fairly new to owning quail and definitely new to breeding them and playing a bit with mixing their color types by breeding.

Does any one have quails for sale im trying to find a male jumbo brown coutornix for my female. She keeps on mate calling.

If you put a male woth one female the most likely thing to happen is he'll kill her. coturnix rooster should be with no less than three hens because they breed so aggressively. The best thing you could do for her is give her toys or a mirror or something besides a coturnix rooster.

Last edited:
If you put a male woth one female the most likely thing to happen is he'll kill her. coturnix rooster should be with no less than three hens because they breed so aggressively. The best thing you could do for her is give her toys or a mirror or something besides a coturnix rooster.

A mirror is a great idea!

Sound advice, but I do want to say that pairs CAN do well together...not always, and in certain situations ↓

I have several aviaries with pairs of coturnix, they do great together and actually form a strong pair bond. They will go broody if I let them. BUT this is in an aviary setting...smallest is 4ft x 6ft with plants and plenty of hiding places.

I've noticed behaviour has a lot to do with the environment they are kept in.
I don't think they would behave like they are had I put two new birds in a small quail cage without cover.

My quail housed in wire cages off the ground are MUCH more aggressive breeders! Like you said, 1 male to a minimum of 3 hens to be safe.

A mirror is a great idea!

Sound advice, but I do want to say that pairs CAN do well together...not always, and in certain situations ↓

I have several aviaries with pairs of coturnix, they do great together and actually form a strong pair bond. They will go broody if I let them. BUT this is in an aviary setting...smallest is 4ft x 6ft with plants and plenty of hiding places.

I've noticed behaviour has a lot to do with the environment they are kept in.
I don't think they would behave like they are had I put two new birds in a small quail cage without cover.

My quail housed in wire cages off the ground are MUCH more aggressive breeders! Like you said, 1 male to a minimum of 3 hens to be safe.
I had a coturnix quail pair when I first started with quail. I was hoping to have them populate my hopefully growing flock. I cants say that the male directly killed the female but I will say the female was stressed by over mating. I had to keep them separate during the day and when I put them back together one night in a pet carrier thinking for sure at night he would calm down the mating attempts,, my female died when she jumped up, hitting her head and breaking her neck.
If you keep a pair together I would recommend a soft top and sided environment just in case the female tries to jump to get away from the male. I built my first pen inside a much larger wire aviary but the quail pen portion has a sheet draped over the top. Then I got four females to go with my male and things worked out a lot better for all.

Yeah i have A hen not a male. She lays eggs on her own without a male. But id still like a more quails so she wont be lonly.

Get some more females and perhaps a male, thought like chickens, it is not necessary for the quail to have a male to be happy. Females together would be just fine. I would miss the clicky crow is I didnt have males though. If you get a small male they have kind of a squeaker sound to their click and it is really cute, not annoying at all for the neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom