Java Green peafowl questions

One person has said that the reason why his greens don't grow very long crests (I thought most of them were long) was because he has so many visitors at his farm that the birds are always pacing the fence when visitors come, and so they wear down their crest.

I could definitely see stress being a problem. I think the main thing is unlike India Blue peafowl, green peafowl will get more stressed out if they have less space. I think the India blue varieties can tolerate less space better.

Why do some green peacocks shred up their train feathers though? Is it for the same reasons?

Pure Green Peafowls are big fighters
In the breeding or meeting season they want fight with his neighbor or sometimes the humans !!
When they see every time his neighbor in this aviary they want to him and fight they go the wire up and down and so the train feather broken all.
It is after my experience all a keeping problem and not a visiter problem

The biggest problem is the many breeder not enough know over the true nature of the Green Peafowl.

Hi Minx. I thought this may interest you. My pure green male will let the pure green female pluck feathers off most of the back of his neck. Quite alot too. But It also aint to the point where Im overly concerned. She also pecked some of his crest and pecks at his train as well. While breeding with her she has remained flawless however and in perfect feather. But now with goldilocks he likes to be much rougher and has actually pecked her neck where a little blood has come out and sometime she has had to hide from him. Again if there was any danger or permanant damage I would do some seperating of course.Just thought Id share that with ya. weird huh? I have two friends that kept pure green peafowl for many years. Those crest we all love vary from bird to bird. I have seen litters of babies grow up from the same parents and some will just have longer crest than their siblings. I guess what Im trying to say is there is no way to know unless its a full on adult how long they may be. I think you know the background of my greens. When you do get ready for your greens. You can buy some babies this year( or next even) or your choice of my males for cheep! cheep! LOL! That is of course, if you would like or get ready to.Just putting that out there for you. All I ever wanted was just one pair of green peafowl to keep here....and maybe watch some babies run around for a little while. Goldilocks is going to be leaving from here very very soon but fear not. She is heading to a great home and my good friend wants her to keep with his only lonely green(Its the brother to one of mine)Comes full circle. Just like when I wanted her from you to keep my only boy at the time company when he was lonely.
love.gif
Anyhow thats an update. Hope all your peeps are well also! P.S. Aint been on here much because two of my buddies Ive known for a long time died, My next door neighbor for many years died. and two days ago my brother-in law died. Its all good though because I know where they are headed. Tough month.
sad.png
Just hard.

Last edited:
Not need many words .... everyone will understand why there ... there will never be long crest.

The breeder of Spain :
So many grass in the aviary ! Peacocks are eating a lot of grass! ... it's looking like a parking of peacocks ! ... No sun .... birds not happy !
Muticus muticus peacock have a little problem with his beak .

Last edited:
Hi Minx. I thought this may interest you. My pure green male will let the pure green female pluck feathers off most of the back of his neck. Quite alot too. But It also aint to the point where Im overly concerned. She also pecked some of his crest and pecks at his train as well. While breeding with her she has remained flawless however and in perfect feather. But now with goldilocks he likes to be much rougher and has actually pecked her neck where a little blood has come out and sometime she has had to hide from him. Again if there was any danger or permanant damage I would do some seperating of course.Just thought Id share that with ya. weird huh? I have two friends that kept pure green peafowl for many years. Those crest we all love vary from bird to bird. I have seen litters of babies grow up from the same parents and some will just have longer crest than their siblings. I guess what Im trying to say is there is no way to know unless its a full on adult how long they may be. I think you know the background of my greens. When you do get ready for your greens. You can buy some babies this year( or next even) or your choice of my males for cheep! cheep! LOL! That is of course, if you would like or get ready to.Just putting that out there for you. All I ever wanted was just one pair of green peafowl to keep here....and maybe watch some babies run around for a little while. Goldilocks is going to be leaving from here very very soon but fear not. She is heading to a great home and my good friend wants her to keep with his only lonely green(Its the brother to one of mine)Comes full circle. Just like when I wanted her from you to keep my only boy at the time company when he was lonely.
love.gif
Anyhow thats an update. Hope all your peeps are well also! P.S. Aint been on here much because two of my buddies Ive known for a long time died, My next door neighbor for many years died. and two days ago my brother-in law died. Its all good though because I know where they are headed. Tough month.
sad.png
Just hard.
hugs.gif
Glade you see you on here,again! missed your post!

love.gif
sad.png
Just hard.

Thanks for the interesting information Destinduck. I really need to visit you sometime because I would love to see all of your birds and your setup. I am glad to hear that Goldilocks can keep yet another lonely green peacock some company.
smile.png

All of my peafowl are doing well and I am trying to get a job at a nearby plant business. They have free-range chickens and guineas and they are interested in getting peafowl so I might be able to work for them and sell them some birds. I was wondering why you were not on here much. I am sorry for your losses.
sad.png
hugs.gif

My java needs heat from other peahens ect and a coverd heavily in hay during texas winter the area... Only in the summer do I remove the hayfrom the floor and put down sandbox sand makes for ez clean up. 12 ft tall covering and make surk you clip one wing they will take off!!! They are wild in fact she is called princess wild thing hahaha..My indian blue and female black shoulder are way more domestic... hope this helps.

My java needs heat from other peahens ect and a coverd heavily in hay during texas winter the area... Only in the summer do I remove the hayfrom the floor and put down sandbox sand makes for ez clean up. 12 ft tall covering and make surk you clip one wing they will take off!!! They are wild in fact she is called princess wild thing hahaha..My indian blue and female black shoulder are way more domestic... hope this helps.

-Kathy

If you put castor oil lavender oil eucalyptus oil on the neck and she will stop and most likely never do it again... hope it helps sry about your loss :(

Back
Top Bottom