Java Green peafowl questions

Okay.  So who did you get her from?  Do you plan on breeding her?
of course I intend to breed her she is only 8 month old and I would like to breed her with a black shoulder Java green Spalding mix, so peachicks will have long legs and slinder body and black and gold sholders.

So you mean a Blackshoulder Spalding? If you searched so hard for a pure hen, I cannot understand why you wouldn't want to breed her to a pure peacock... That's just my opinion. You first generation will just be splits, then you would have to breed offspring to dad. The percentage of spalding will also vary.

So you mean a Blackshoulder Spalding?  If you searched so hard for a pure hen, I cannot understand why you wouldn't want to breed her to a pure peacock...  That's just my opinion.  You first generation will just be splits, then you would have to breed offspring to dad.  The percentage of spalding will also vary.
just simple economics it would be more wise of me to have a Spalding mix they can take more then pure javas can. Then ech one I sale I know they are alot safer. They are my babys not every one will look at them like I do.

So you mean a Blackshoulder Spalding? If you searched so hard for a pure hen, I cannot understand why you wouldn't want to breed her to a pure peacock... That's just my opinion. You first generation will just be splits, then you would have to breed offspring to dad. The percentage of spalding will also vary.
I agree it is going to be harder breeding for Spaldings, especially if you are going for ones that look more like green peafowl. It takes some breeders a long time to get birds that look a lot like a green peafowl but are not. Spalding chicks from the same parents will vary in looks. Some will look a lot more India Blue, while some will look a bit more green.

I understand the appeal of having birds that can withstand the cold weather better, but just know that green peafowl are endangered (some subspecies are more endangered than others, and some are already extinct), so there is a need for them to be conserved also. That is part of the reason why they are so hard to find in the US, is everyone wants to breed the Spaldings, but less people want to breed the green peafowl.

Just make sure when you sell the offspring you label them as Spaldings without saying Java Spalding or something like Green Spalding.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom